Posted to user@ant.apache.org by "Loehr, Ruel" <rl...@pointserve.com> on 2007/07/23 21:27:12 UTC

best practices - building on multiple os's

Hoping some others might have some insight, I've googled around for 2
days but haven't yet found an answer that seems right.

I have a project which is c++ based and have created an ant wrapper
around it to checkout, build, build an installer, and publish the
project.  This part works pretty well.

The only problem is that it takes 4 hours to build.   2 hours on
solaris, and 2 hours on windows.

The ant build structure is sort of like this:

1)       call sshexec and run solaris build

2)       then proceed on to building windows.

I'd like to get the solaris and windows portion of the builds to run in
parallel but have not yet found a good way to do it.   The sshexec task
blocks until the solaris portion is done.

I've tried wrapping it in a daemon and parallel tag, but it didn't seem
to function.

Any suggestions on how I might go about achieving this?

Thanks!
Ruel

Ruel Loehr

Configuration Management

Pointserve, Inc.

110 Wild Basin Road

Suite 300

Austin, Texas 78746

O: 512.617.5314

F: 512.617.0466

RE: best practices - building on multiple os's

Posted by "Loehr, Ruel" <rl...@pointserve.com>.
Nohup might be just the trick, I'll give that a shot.

> Hoping some others might have some insight, I've googled around for 2
> days but haven't yet found an answer that seems right.
>

> I have a project which is c++ based and have created an ant wrapper
> around it to checkout, build, build an installer, and publish the
> project.  This part works pretty well.
>
> The only problem is that it takes 4 hours to build.   2 hours on
> solaris, and 2 hours on windows.

aah, I forgot about windows

> The ant build structure is sort of like this:
>

> 1)       call sshexec and run solaris build
>
> 2)       then proceed on to building windows.
>

> I'd like to get the solaris and windows portion of the builds to run
in
> parallel but have not yet found a good way to do it.   The sshexec
task
> blocks until the solaris portion is done.

1. you could run the solaris build in the background, sshexec the
equivalent command as

nohup ant -f project/build.xml release &

you then need to synchronise for the results -setting a file in a shared

directory, anything we can use <waitfor> to poll for.

2. I have heard -but no experience of- anthill pro, which can apparently

do some parallel build-farm work.

similarly, you can set up luntbuild, bamboo or other CI tools to do a
scheduled build, so it could do a nightly release, or so

3. the third option is pretty low level, and is more an extension of
(1); use smartfrog (disclaimer., I work on it), to deploy ant on the
different machines. and choreograph the builds. This is really something

I'd point you at if you are interested in doing cross-platform testing
after the builds, where you want to collect the results on a single
host, or if you were planning on learning smartfrog anyway.

-steve

Re: best practices - building on multiple os's

Posted by Steve Loughran <st...@apache.org>.

Posted by Alexey Solofnenko <A....@mdl.com>.
<parallel> should work. Something else is wrong.

- Alexey.

Loehr, Ruel wrote:
> Hoping some others might have some insight, I've googled around for 2
> days but haven't yet found an answer that seems right.
>

> I have a project which is c++ based and have created an ant wrapper
> around it to checkout, build, build an installer, and publish the
> project.  This part works pretty well.
>
> The only problem is that it takes 4 hours to build.   2 hours on
> solaris, and 2 hours on windows.
>

> The ant build structure is sort of like this:
>

> 1)       call sshexec and run solaris build
>
> 2)       then proceed on to building windows.
>

> I'd like to get the solaris and windows portion of the builds to run in
> parallel but have not yet found a good way to do it.   The sshexec task
> blocks until the solaris portion is done.
>
> I've tried wrapping it in a daemon and parallel tag, but it didn't seem
> to function.
>

> Any suggestions on how I might go about achieving this?
>

> Thanks!
> Ruel

> Ruel Loehr
>
> Configuration Management