Posted to common-user@hadoop.apache.org by Sai Sai <sa...@yahoo.in> on 2013/04/12 10:07:40 UTC

Re: Does a Map task run 3 times on 3 TTs or just once

Just wondering if it is right to assume that a Map task is run 3 times on 3 different TTs in parallel and whoever completes processing the task first that output is picked up and written to intermediate location.
Or is it true that a map task even though its data is replicated 3 times will run only once and other 2 will be on the stand by just incase this fails the second one will run followed by 3rd one if the 2nd Mapper fails.
Plesae pour some light.
Thanks
Sai

Re: Will HDFS refer to the memory of NameNode & DataNode or is it a separate machine

Posted by Nitin Pawar <ni...@gmail.com>.
HDFS - hadoop distributed file system
as it stands a file system .. first basic question you will need to search
is do you need a process to run a file system?
when you find an answer to that second question will be
will a single process be enough for a distributed system ? meaning sub
components of the system may exist on different machines

namenode and datanode combined make hdfs. combining all  of their processes
you make hdfs.

namenode is master for the hdfs which keeps the file system image in memory
when it starts it loads it up in memory and serves all requests from memory
there on. There are steps taken to save the FSImage to disk. You can read
about it in detail in hdfs architecture.

when you put a file in hdfs .. it may or may not go to a single machine.
Namenode never stores the data files. it just stores the metadata for the
hdfs.
so when you load a file it will be going to datanode and the file
information will be going to namenode. depending on the size it will be
split in multiple blocks and then multiple blocks may land on multiple
datanodes. If your filesize is less than or exactly equal to block size you
can find out which datanode it is located. else there is no guarantee that
file will be only on single node only if you have fully distributed mode

PS: this is my understanding. Others may correct me as well

--
Nitin Pawar

Re: Will HDFS refer to the memory of NameNode & DataNode or is it a separate machine

Posted by Nitin Pawar <ni...@gmail.com>.

--
Nitin Pawar

Re: Will HDFS refer to the memory of NameNode & DataNode or is it a separate machine

Posted by Nitin Pawar <ni...@gmail.com>.

--
Nitin Pawar

Re: Will HDFS refer to the memory of NameNode & DataNode or is it a separate machine

Posted by Nitin Pawar <ni...@gmail.com>.

--
Nitin Pawar

Re: Will HDFS refer to the memory of NameNode & DataNode or is it a separate machine

Re: How to find the num of Mappers

Posted by Nitin Pawar <ni...@gmail.com>.
your question is answered here
http://wiki.apache.org/hadoop/HowManyMapsAndReduces

To answer first part of your question,

it is not mandatory to run all the maps of a given job at a single time.
Maps are executed as and when the map slots are available on the
tasktrackers

--
Nitin Pawar

Re: How to find the num of Mappers

Posted by Nitin Pawar <ni...@gmail.com>.

--
Nitin Pawar

Re: How to find the num of Mappers

Posted by Nitin Pawar <ni...@gmail.com>.

--
Nitin Pawar

Re: Will HDFS refer to the memory of NameNode & DataNode or is it a separate machine

Posted by Nitin Pawar <ni...@gmail.com>.

--
Nitin Pawar

Re: How to find the num of Mappers

Re: 10 TB of a data file.

Posted by Nitin Pawar <ni...@gmail.com>.
>From wikipedia
The actual amount of disk
space<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Computer_data_storage>consumed by
the file depends on the file
system <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File_system>. The maximum file size a
file system supports depends on the number of
bits<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bit>reserved to store size
information and the total size of the file system

more of it you can read on http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File_size

--
Nitin Pawar

Re: 10 TB of a data file.

Posted by Nitin Pawar <ni...@gmail.com>.

--
Nitin Pawar

Re: 10 TB of a data file.

Posted by Nitin Pawar <ni...@gmail.com>.

--
Nitin Pawar

Re: How to find the num of Mappers

Re: 10 TB of a data file.

Posted by Nitin Pawar <ni...@gmail.com>.

--
Nitin Pawar

Re: 10 TB of a data file.

Re: Flume port issue

Posted by Paul Wilkinson <pa...@gmail.com>.
Reattempting to post this to the flume ML after subscribing...

Re: Flume port issue

Posted by Paul Wilkinson <pa...@gmail.com>.

Re: Flume port issue

Posted by Paul Wilkinson <pa...@gmail.com>.

Re: Flume port issue

Posted by Paul Wilkinson <pa...@gmail.com>.

Re: Flume port issue

Posted by Paul Wilkinson <pa...@gmail.com>.

Re: Flume port issue

Posted by Paul Wilkinson <pa...@gmail.com>.

Re: Flume port issue

Posted by Paul Wilkinson <pa...@gmail.com>.

Re: Flume port issue

Posted by Paul Wilkinson <pa...@gmail.com>.

Re: Flume port issue

Posted by Sai Sai <sa...@yahoo.in>.

Re: Flume port issue

Posted by Sai Sai <sa...@yahoo.in>.

Re: Flume port issue

Posted by Sai Sai <sa...@yahoo.in>.

Re: Flume port issue

Posted by Sai Sai <sa...@yahoo.in>.

Re: Flume port issue

Posted by Sai Sai <sa...@yahoo.in>.
Lenin
Thanks for your reply.
Here is the 1st sample which works, i am not sure if you r referring to this:
-------------------------------
agent1.sources = netsource
agent1.sinks = logsink
agent1.channels = memorychannel

agent1.sources.netsource.type = netcat
agent1.sources.netsource.bind = localhost
agent1.sources.netsource.port = 3000

agent1.sinks.logsink.type = logger

agent1.channels.memorychannel.type = memory
agent1.channels.memorychannel.capacity = 1000
agent1.channels.memorychannel.transactionCapacity = 100

agent1.sources.netsource.channels = memorychannel
agent1.sinks.logsink.channel = memorychannel
-------------------------------

Please let me know if u have any suggestions.
Thanks
Sai

________________________________
Sai, Are you able to run the netcat flume sample?
--
Lenin.

Re: Flume port issue

Re: Flume port issue