Posted to user@struts.apache.org by "Ruth, Brice" <br...@fiskars.com> on 2003/10/21 19:23:28 UTC

html:rewrite doesn't rewrite "action" contrary to docs?

The docs
(http://jakarta.apache.org/struts/userGuide/struts-html.html#rewrite)
indicate that html:rewrite will rewrite an action, forward, href, or
page attribute - but the "action" attribute isn't in the TLD and in the
source for org.apache.struts.taglib.html.RewriteTag the call to
RequestUtils.computeURL passes a hard-coded "null" in for the action
parameter.

Why?

--
Brice D. Ruth
Sr. IT Analyst

Re: html:rewrite doesn't rewrite "action" contrary to docs?

Posted by "Ruth, Brice" <br...@fiskars.com>.
Its actually not quite that difficult to understand - the drop down form
element was selected by the design agency as a means of navigating
between the localizations of the site. So, the actual select doesn't
submit a form (so no code to be executed on the server end) - it simply
calls a bit of javascript code that takes the URL contained in the value
attribute of the <option> and directs the browser to load that URL.

Not very sophisticated, not very difficult - its really merely a design
element. But, it necessitates the need for the URL that is in the value
attribute of the <option> tag be correct, based on the rewriting rules
that Struts applies. It just surprised me that this isn't in 1.1 - seems
like that would be a no-brainer, but maybe there's more to it than just
what I see :)

No biggie - my workaround is fine for now.

Posted by James Mitchell <jm...@apache.org>.
Hmmm...that's a tough one.

Posted by "Ruth, Brice" <br...@fiskars.com>.

Posted by James Mitchell <jm...@apache.org>.