Posted to users@spamassassin.apache.org by Steve Lake <st...@raiden.net> on 2006/10/19 06:02:46 UTC

How to do new sare update?

	Ok, I'm going to take a huge guess that just dumping the new sare file
into your rules directory (in my case, since I'm on freebsd, it's
"/usr/local/share/spamassassin") doesn't work and you need to do some kind
of update thingy.

	Someone got a guide on how to do this on freebsd?  Many thanks.

Re: How to do new sare update?

Posted by Jo Rhett <jr...@netconsonance.com>.
Steve Lake wrote:
>     Ok, I'm going to take a huge guess that just dumping the new sare
> file into your rules directory (in my case, since I'm on freebsd, it's
> "/usr/local/share/spamassassin") doesn't work and you need to do some
> kind of update thingy.
>
>     Someone got a guide on how to do this on freebsd?  Many thanks.

On FreeBSD sa-update will put the files where SA expects them.  That's
/var/lib/spamassassin/{version}/...

I think that the previous problem was someone overriding that and trying
to put the updates into his main rules directory.

--
Jo Rhett
Network/Software Engineer

Re: How to do new sare update?

Posted by Jo Rhett <jr...@netconsonance.com>.
DAve wrote:
> There is nothing special required for FreeBSD, the etc dir for user
> installed software is /usr/local/etc, so the local.cf is in
> /usr/local/etc/mail/spamassassin and that is the directory you should
> point RDJ to.
>
> Oh, and in case you are thinking about it, don't use the --update-dir
> switch on sa-update and try to be smarter than the SA developers. I did,
> and it will cause much grief. Just accept that sa-update and RDJ update
> two different directories and move along. You life will be easier. If
> you really want SARE rules updated the same as SA rules, then subscribe
> to a SARE channel.

I dunno about you, but I kindof prefer that sa-update has its own
directory (/var/lib/spamassassin) to play in.  I run my servers with
/usr mounted read only :-)

Dave -- if you are a new site and you're not running RDJ today, might I
suggest that you simply use sa-update to get both sets of updates?

Here's a script you can run out of cron.  Remove the backslash
continuers from the invocation line, and you probably want to eventually
replace "LOADED..." with a command line to restart your daemon (if
applicable)

#!/bin/sh
/usr/local/bin/sa-update \
	--channelfile /var/lib/spamassassin/update-channels.txt \
	--gpgkey 856AA88A
status=$?
if [ $status -eq 0 ]
then
         echo "LOADED NEW FILES -- need to restart amavisd."
else
	# Return code 1 means "no new updates", anything else is bad
	if [ $status -ne 1 ]
         then
                 echo "ERROR: SA-update appears to have failed."
         fi
fi

--
Jo Rhett
Network/Software Engineer

Re: How to do new sare update?

Posted by DAve <da...@pixelhammer.com>.
Matt Kettler wrote:
> Steve Lake wrote:
>>     Ok, I'm going to take a huge guess that just dumping the new sare
>> file into your rules directory (in my case, since I'm on freebsd, it's
>> "/usr/local/share/spamassassin") doesn't work and you need to do some
>> kind of update thingy.
>>
> Well, you do NOT want to dump them into /usr/local/share/spamassassin.
> In fact, you do not ever want to edit anything in this directory, it
> will be obliterated when you upgrade SA.
>
> However, all you have to do is dump them into your
> /etc/mail/spamassassin directory, or whatever "etc" based instead of
> "share" based variant used with BSD.
>
> That said, if you want an auto-updater, look around for RulesDuJour.
>
>>     Someone got a guide on how to do this on freebsd?  Many thanks.

There is nothing special required for FreeBSD, the etc dir for user
installed software is /usr/local/etc, so the local.cf is in
/usr/local/etc/mail/spamassassin and that is the directory you should
point RDJ to.

Oh, and in case you are thinking about it, don't use the --update-dir
switch on sa-update and try to be smarter than the SA developers. I did,
and it will cause much grief. Just accept that sa-update and RDJ update
two different directories and move along. You life will be easier. If
you really want SARE rules updated the same as SA rules, then subscribe
to a SARE channel.

DAve

Veterans?

Re: How to do new sare update?