Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by John Sheehan <jo...@cyantel.com> on 2003/06/06 15:33:10 UTC

mod_jk, apache, tomcat and solaris 8

Hi

We are having problems with load balancing of apache and tomcat on solaris.
We have 4 solaris servers, 2 with apache 2.0.45 installed and 2 with Tomcat
4.1.24.  We are using mod_jk on the apache servers to connect to the two tom
cat servers and get them to load balance and failover, the idea being that 1
of the apache machines and 1 of the tomcat machines can fail and the system
will keep running.

Everything is configured and running and load balancing works well across
the platforms, however, if we simulate a failure of one of the tomcat
servers (by disconnecting the network cable to make it disappear), the
apache server which is currently connected to the "failed" server does not
fail over to the other tomcat server.

Note 1: if we shut down either tomcat server (using shutdown.sh) then the
apache server correctly fails over to the other tomcat server.

Note 2: we tried the same thing on a MS Windows platform, and the failover
worked (albeit there was a 60 second delay in the fail over happening).

Here are the relevant (in our opinion) bits of our config files

*** httpd.conf relevant section

LoadModule jk_module modules/mod_jk-2.0.43.so
JkWorkersFile /usr/local/apache2/conf/workers.properties
JkLogFile /usr/local/apache2/logs/mod_jk.log
JkLogLevel debug
JkMount /*.jsp loadbalancer
JkMount /servlet/* loadbalancer
JkMount /* loadbalancer

*** workers.properties relevant section

worker.list=loadbalancer

worker.tc1.port=8009
worker.tc1.host=192.168.0.6
worker.tc1.type=ajp13
worker.tc1.cachesize=10
worker.tc1.cache_timeout=10
worker.tc1.socket_timeout=10
worker.tc1.lbfactor=1
worker.tc1.socket_keepalive=0

worker.tc2.port=8009
worker.tc2.host=192.168.0.122
worker.tc2.type=ajp13
worker.tc2.cachesize=10
worker.tc2.cache_timeout=10
worker.tc2.socket_timeout=10
worker.tc2.lbfactor=1
worker.tc2.socket_keepalive=0

worker.loadbalancer.type=lb
worker.loadbalancer.balanced_workers=tc1,tc2
worker.loadbalancer.sticky_session=0

We've been baffled by this for a few days now, so if anyones got any ideas
we would really appreciate some help.

Regards

John Sheehan
Cyantel