Posted to users@directory.apache.org by Andrew Wiley <de...@gmail.com> on 2010/03/31 22:23:36 UTC

Embedded or Separate

I'm building a server application which will be closely integrated with
ApacheDS, but ApacheDS (and the Kerberos protocol provider) needs to be
available to network clients as well. I also need data in the directory to
be persistent.
Should I be running ApacheDS separately or embedding it? If I should be
embedding it, should I provide a configuration file or turn on what I need
in the code?

Any help would be greatly appreciated,
Andrew Wiley

Re: Embedded or Separate

Posted by Kiran Ayyagari <ay...@gmail.com>.
hi Andrew,

On Wed, Mar 31, 2010 at 11:23 PM, Andrew Wiley <de...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I'm building a server application which will be closely integrated with
> ApacheDS, but ApacheDS (and the Kerberos protocol provider) needs to be
> available to network clients as well. I also need data in the directory to
> be persistent.
ApacheDS data will always be written to the disk be it in embedded mode or not
check the location of Directoryservice's workingdirectory

> Should I be running ApacheDS separately or embedding it?
embedded ApacheDS can be available to network clients too(you need to
start LdapServer from your program)
> If I should be
> embedding it, should I provide a configuration file or turn on what I need
> in the code?
in embedded mode generally the server is configured using various setters
if you want to use config file then take a look at the UberJarMain
class in apacheds-noarch module

HTH
Kiran Ayyagari