Posted to user@velocity.apache.org by Philipp Sumi <su...@datenreich.ch> on 2002/02/07 01:34:20 UTC

conflicts with Velocity Tags

Hi

My first post on that list :-)

I was looking at WebMacro a few months ago, but experienced heavy problems
with its Tags, which had to start with "#". As this sign is used in other
Html-Tags (e.g. css-commands), it worked only when I embeded all static
html-content in #text-Tags which completely messed up the page - so I gave
it up.

Today I took a short look at Velocity and saw that its derived fromWebMacro
and using the same directives. I am still wondering why there is no use of
regular html-Tags (eg. <vcId>)... As I think that others had the same
problems as I did (concernig templates ;-), I'd like to know if there is a
way to get round the #text-directives to keep clean html.

Thanks for your help

Philipp

__________________________
Datenreich Software Engineering
Philipp Sumi, Wartstr. 148, 8400 Winterthur
Tel. +41 52 222 95 59

www.datenreich.ch

Re: conflicts with Velocity Tags

Posted by Philipp Sumi <co...@datenreich.ch>.
> > Hello,
> >
> > Velocity ignores what it doesn't understand.  So any "#" characters
> > followed by various text are ignored unless they match a Velocity
> > directive or macro.
> >

> And there are only 10 directives, and the macros (actually, VelociMacros
or
> 'VM' for short) are defined by you, so you should be able to keep things
> from colliding.
>
> Geir
>
> > -Bill

Great! Thanks for your assistance :-)

Philipp

<ma...@jakarta.apache.org>

Posted by "Geir Magnusson Jr." <ge...@optonline.net>.

Posted by Bill Burton <bi...@progress.com>.
Hello,

Posted by Philipp Sumi <co...@datenreich.ch>.
Hello Geir

> On 2/6/02 8:59 PM, "Philipp Sumi" <co...@datenreich.ch> wrote:

Thank you very much for your assistance :-). Unfortunately, I was doing this
first steps quite a while ago and as I gave it up with WebMacro, there are
no expamples left. But as the Velocity parsers seems to ignore these tags,
the problem should be solved.

Bye

Philipp

Re: conflicts with Velocity Tags

Posted by "Geir Magnusson Jr." <ge...@optonline.net>.

Posted by Philipp Sumi <co...@datenreich.ch>.
> > I was looking at WebMacro a few months ago, but experienced heavy
problems
> > with its Tags, which had to start with "#". As this sign is used in
other
> > Html-Tags (e.g. css-commands), it worked only when I embeded all static
> > html-content in #text-Tags which completely messed up the page - so I
gave
> > it up.
> >
> > Today I took a short look at Velocity and saw that its derived
fromWebMacro
> > and using the same directives.
<snip/>

> What problems did you have, exactly?

The problem was that I had to split my html into several areas which had to
be included in "#text #begin" and "#end" - Tags to avoid problems with the
WebMacro-Compiler, because the #-sign can be used in several places inside a
html-page. This made the html quite unreadable - especially for
Html-Generators which couldn't interprete the html any longer because of all
the unknown (non-html)-tags.

If there is no other way to get around that, Velocity can't be the choice,
which would be a pity because it seems to be quite powerful.

Thanks

Philipp

Re: conflicts with Velocity Tags

Posted by "Geir Magnusson Jr." <ge...@optonline.net>.
On 2/6/02 7:34 PM, "Philipp Sumi" <su...@datenreich.ch> wrote:

> Hi
>
> My first post on that list :-)
>
> I was looking at WebMacro a few months ago, but experienced heavy problems
> with its Tags, which had to start with "#". As this sign is used in other
> Html-Tags (e.g. css-commands), it worked only when I embeded all static
> html-content in #text-Tags which completely messed up the page - so I gave
> it up.
>
> Today I took a short look at Velocity and saw that its derived fromWebMacro
> and using the same directives. I am still wondering why there is no use of
> regular html-Tags (eg. <vcId>)... As I think that others had the same
> problems as I did (concernig templates ;-), I'd like to know if there is a
> way to get round the #text-directives to keep clean html.

What problems did you have, exactly?

System and Software Consulting

The bytecodes are language independent. - Sam Ruby