Posted to user@flink.apache.org by Ken Krugler <kk...@transpac.com> on 2016/04/29 01:58:25 UTC

EMR vCores and slot allocation

Based on what Flink reports in the JobManager GUI, it looks like it thinks that the EC2 instances I’m using for my EMR jobs only have 4 physical cores.

Which would make sense, as Amazon describes these servers as having 8 vCores.

From https://ci.apache.org/projects/flink/flink-docs-master/setup/config.html <https://ci.apache.org/projects/flink/flink-docs-master/setup/config.html>, the recommended configuration would then be 4 slots/TaskManager, yes?

Thanks,

— Ken

--------------------------
Ken Krugler
+1 530-210-6378
http://www.scaleunlimited.com
custom big data solutions & training
Hadoop, Cascading, Cassandra & Solr

Re: EMR vCores and slot allocation

Posted by Fabian Hueske <fh...@gmail.com>.
The slot configuration should depend on the complexity of jobs.
Since each slot runs a "slice" of a program, one slot might potentially
execute many concurrent tasks.

For complex jobs you should allocate more than one core for each slot.

Posted by Robert Metzger <rm...@apache.org>.
Hi Ken,