Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by "Stephen M. Przepiora" <st...@przepiora.org> on 2002/04/08 16:57:26 UTC

Log files

Hello,
	We have started hosting a few web sites for customers in other areas of
our business and have run into problems with log files.

All the sites are setup as virtual hosts with seperate log files and we
have a perl script that I wrote to rotate them every night and run
webalizer on the logs. It works just fine.

What we are running into is some web site owners who can't get to the
current log file to see if there is any errors (we don't allow shell
access) in their cgi's. I figured this type of problem has been solved
in the past and am looking for information on how people have setup log
files for the users.

Steve

Re: Log files

Posted by Admin <ko...@naisp.net>.
if they use a ftp program...usually they can go "UP" towards root...and at
least VIEW their own separate logs file, under their respective usernames...
they can't do anything else...due to them only having read access
thats what i usually do...but most people and servers don't allow access inside
root...

"Stephen M. Przepiora" wrote:

> Hello,
>         We have started hosting a few web sites for customers in other areas of
> our business and have run into problems with log files.
>
> All the sites are setup as virtual hosts with seperate log files and we
> have a perl script that I wrote to rotate them every night and run
> webalizer on the logs. It works just fine.
>
> What we are running into is some web site owners who can't get to the
> current log file to see if there is any errors (we don't allow shell
> access) in their cgi's. I figured this type of problem has been solved
> in the past and am looking for information on how people have setup log
> files for the users.
>
> Steve

>                        Name: signature.asc
>    signature.asc       Type: application/pgp-signature

<******** http://www.myispnet.net ********>
Admin -  My ISP Network
admin@myispnet.net
ICQ# 7110071