Posted to xindice-dev@xml.apache.org by James Bates <ja...@amplexor.com> on 2002/02/18 14:15:35 UTC

Unicode issues - International characters / follow-up

I understand the problem (large file), sorry for my earlier misbehaviour. I have
attempted to make a "patch", although I am very unshure about how that kind of
thing works. Also I didn't want to update the CVS directly, as my code is
probably still buggy.

I have a 70kb file that was made using "diff -rc orig-cvs-dir my-changes-dir".
Is that right? Should I submit it to this list?

In the mean time, I have also seen that XUpdates using the new code don't work.
Delving further, I have the impression this is because making XUpdate calls
causes the "commands" string to be passed through CORBA as a String, whereas
when creating/reading documents, byte arrays are sent through CORBA.

Also, I see how there are corba client stubs generated automatically in
org.apache.xindice.client.corba.db; however I cannot find where the server stubs
are created, and I'd like to "follow" the string (Unicode in principle, as it is a java.lang.String) into its first "entry" point in the server. Could someone
help me explain what happens on the server? thanks,

James

Re: Unicode issues - International characters / follow-up

Posted by Kimbro Staken <ks...@xmldatabases.org>.
On Monday, February 18, 2002, at 06:15 AM, James Bates wrote:

> I understand the problem (large file), sorry for my earlier misbehaviour.
>  I have
> attempted to make a "patch", although I am very unshure about how that
> kind of
> thing works. Also I didn't want to update the CVS directly, as my code is
> probably still buggy.

You won't be able to write to CVS until we give you commit access, which
if your patches are good and you want to continue working in this area I'm
sure will be easy to get.

> I have a 70kb file that was made using "diff -rc orig-cvs-dir
> my-changes-dir".
> Is that right? Should I submit it to this list?

Take a look at http://xml.apache.org/guidelines.html, in particular the
source repositories link has instructions for creating patches.

It's probably best to just post it on a website somewhere if you have a
place. If not send it to me privately and I can post it if necessary. For
small patches it's ok to send them to the list, 70k seems rather large.

> In the mean time, I have also seen that XUpdates using the new code don't
> work.
> Delving further, I have the impression this is because making XUpdate
> calls
> causes the "commands" string to be passed through CORBA as a String,
> whereas
> when creating/reading documents, byte arrays are sent through CORBA.
>
> Also, I see how there are corba client stubs generated automatically in
> org.apache.xindice.client.corba.db; however I cannot find where the
> server stubs
> are created, and I'd like to "follow" the string (Unicode in principle,
> as it is a java.lang.String) into its first "entry" point in the server.
> Could someone
> help me explain what happens on the server? thanks,

All the corba stuff is in that directory. I wouldn't worry too much about
it though, as we're going to remove CORBA in the next revision after 1.0.
That is when you're patches would make it in too since they break existing
data files. I'd really appreciate your help on making sure we properly
handle these issues in the replacement API. It will most likely be XML-RPC,
  but may be SOAP. We'll actually do both, but XML-RPC is probably more
likely for the primary API.

> James

Kimbro Staken
XML Database Software, Consulting and Writing
http://www.xmldatabases.org/