Posted to dev@struts.apache.org by Robert Leland <rl...@apache.org> on 2003/12/15 10:12:45 UTC

[ANNOUNCE] Commons-Validator 1.1.1 released

Commons Validator 1.1.1 is now available for testing.

Please refer to http://jakarta.apache.org/commons/validator/tasks.html
that details the changes that have taken place since the 1.1.0 release.

Downloads:
http://jakarta.apache.org/~rleland/ValidatorAlpha/1.1.1

Just a reminder :
The release process is following the same general procedures established
for the Apache HTTPD project <http://httpd.apache.org/dev/release.html>
and Jakarta Commons products
<http://jakarta.apache.org/commons/releases/>, and utilize the HTTPD
numbering scheme.

The release will initially be given an Alpha status and made available
through the Release Manager's home directory. Pursuant to a Majority
Vote on the /commons-dev/ Mailing List, the release may be moved to the
public release directory. The vote may also serve to reclassify the
release to be of *Beta* or *General Availability* (GA) quality, as
defined by the Apache HTTPD project. Subsequent votes may reclassify the
release, either to promote it or to demote it, as need be.

Rob

Re: [ANNOUNCE] Commons-Validator 1.1.1 released

Posted by Martin Cooper <ma...@apache.org>.
This release raises some questions, since it follows (?) two sets of
conflicting guidelines on how releases should be done.

* The Commons guidelines call for a Release Plan to be voted on first, and
a Release Candidate to be voted upon subsequent to that, and prior to the
release itself. Jakarta also requires a vote prior to a release being made
available.

* The HTTPD guidelines appear to require no votes prior to the release
being made available as an alpha version.

Unless I am mistaken, there were no votes on release manager, release plan
or release prior to this announcement, all of which are currently required
by Jakarta and/or Jakarta Commons.

While I understand that using the HTTPD release process might have its
advantages, this would require a change to Jakarta and/or Commons rules,
which is something that would have to be taken up by the PMC. In the
meantime, I believe we need to use the rules that are currently in place.

--
Martin Cooper

Posted by Vic Cekvenich <ce...@basebeans.com>.
I know I speak for many when I say: "Thanks"
.V