Posted to dev@ant.apache.org by Glenn McAllister <gl...@somanetworks.com> on 2001/07/17 16:13:31 UTC

Re: cvs commit: jakarta-ant/src/main/org/apache/tools/ant/taskdefs Javadoc.java

Conor MacNeill wrote:

> A word of warning. The Windows JDK installers typically throw a java.exe in
> the winnt\system32 directory. When you run that java it will end up with
> java.home pointing to some other JRE directory (i.e. not the one under the
> JDK install). The relative path will not find you a javadoc :-(.
>
> The solution is to probably document the folly of Sun's installers. Working
> around it is rather hard.

Hmm... the problem for me is that I need the change for our build environment;
eventually we will *never* have the JDK in our path during a build as we need
to keep strict control over what tools we are compiling with.  How does this
sound: check to see if ${java.home}/../bin/javadoc(.exe) exists.  If it does,
use it.  If not, fall back on assuming javadoc is in the path.  And document
the folly of Sun's installers. :-)

Glenn