Posted to user@hive.apache.org by Raimon Bosch <ra...@gmail.com> on 2011/11/11 19:40:12 UTC

load data from s3 to hive

Hi,

I have read that hadoop supports native operations over S3 Filesystem so
you're able to perform operations like:

hadoop fs -ls s3n://mybucket/my_folder/

or:

hadoop fs -copy s3n://mybucket/my_folder /tmp/my_folder

I'm wondering why hive is not able to perform similar operations. It would
be a very good feature load data directly from S3 to Hive, something like:

hive -e "LOAD DATA LOCAL INPATH 's3n://mybucket/my_hive_table' INTO
TABLE my_hive_table PARTITION(dt='2011-11-11');"

Right now this is not possible. What do you think? Which classes should be
changed?

Re: load data from s3 to hive

Posted by Florin Diaconeasa <fl...@gmail.com>.
Hello,

1st of all hadoop needs to use S3 as primary file system. So inside hadoop
configuration core-site.xml you need to set fs.default.name with a value of
the following form: s3n://your-bucket-name

After this, the way i've done it in hive 0.6 and i assume it still
works: alter table my_table add partition (p1=a,p2=b) location
"s3n://your-bucket-name/path-to-folder-for-partition"

This worked for me without any issues. I assume the other way you provided
should work as well, but probably there is an issue with the evaluation of
the query...

Florin

--

Florin