Posted to dev@couchdb.apache.org by Noah Slater <ns...@tumbolia.org> on 2009/10/08 06:29:37 UTC

[VOTE] Apache CouchDB 0.10.0 release, second round

Hello,

I would like call a vote for the Apache CouchDB 0.10.0 release, second
round.

Changes since the last round:

   * Bug fixes for replication
   * Various etap tests now work properly

In future, all builds will automatically test for these types of error.

We encourage the whole community to download and test these release
artifacts so
that any critical issues can be resolved before the release is made.
Everyone is
free to vote on this release, so get stuck in!

We are voting on the following release artefacts:

   http://people.apache.org/~nslater/dist/0.10.0/

Instructions on verifying the release can be found here:

   http://people.apache.org/~nslater/dist/

These artifacts have been built from the 0.10.0 tag in Subversion:

   http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/couchdb/tags/0.10.0/

Happy voting,

Noah

Re: [VOTE] Apache CouchDB 0.10.0 release, second round

Posted by Damien Katz <da...@apache.org>.
Sorry I haven't had a chance to look at this, but I'd guess the stats
package is crashing becuase of the weird reconfigure stuff we do
during the test, and if it exceeds a crash threshold, other CouchDB
components get restarted, and if full commits is off, and then other
tests fail. So basically the bug is in our tests, not the production
code itself.

To test my hypothesis, can we disable the stats stuff for people who
have failures and see if that fixes it?

-Damien

Posted by cinnebar <xc...@gmail.com>.
+ 1

ok on   common free os,  unreliable commodity hardware

also:
Good to see that discussion of alternative uses and markets for CouchDB and
mention of using CouchDB for an ERP system has sparked the creation of
Relaxed Technologies.  Re: @user mailing list archive 'Futon Improvements'
thread begin sep 10 and the 'jQuery dependency' thread begin sep 13.

cheers
cinnebar

Re: [VOTE] Apache CouchDB 0.10.0 release, second round

Posted by Christopher Brown <cb...@opscode.com>.
Very cool.  I didn't think it was a ship-stopper either.  I'll play
around with the option you mentioned and report back out-of-band.
Thanks for the follow-up.
-Chris

Posted by Chris Anderson <jc...@apache.org>.

Posted by Christopher Brown <cb...@opscode.com>.

Posted by Robert Dionne <di...@dionne-associates.com>.

Posted by Jason Davies <ja...@jasondavies.com>.
On 10 Oct 2009, at 11:28, Jason Davies wrote:

> On 8 Oct 2009, at 05:29, Noah Slater wrote:
>
>> I would like call a vote for the Apache CouchDB 0.10.0 release,
>> second round.
>

> I'm getting intermittent failures on the "reduce" and "stats"
> tests.  The reduce test fails with "Assertion failed: db.info
> ().doc_count == (i - 1) * 10 * 11 + (j + 1) * 11".  The stats test
> fails with "Assertion 'should increase the request count for every
> request' failed: expected '28', got '26'".
>
> Platform: Mac OS X 10.6.1, Erlang R13B02 (erts-5.7.3) [source] [64-
> bit] [smp:2:2] [rq:2] [async-threads:0] [hipe] [kernel-poll:false]
>
> I tried recompiling Erlang without hipe and still got the same
> results.
>
> I'm guessing they are simply due to race conditions in the tests and
> aren't anything to worry about so I would be a +1 if someone else
> could comment on the nature of these failures.

OK, after investigating the reduce test further with X-Couch-Full-
Commit: true and discussing with Paul, I think the race conditions may
be due to the browser using a different socket to access the reduce
query after bulk-saving a number of docs.  As for why a different
Erlang process may not see the update immediately, this isn't clear.
The disk_size reported in the first (faulty response) query is also
incorrect compared to the second (correct response) query so it looks
like maybe the file descriptor is stale when the first reduce query
happens.

No-one else seems to have reproduced this so far.  It might help to
run CouchDB locally so that network delays don't mask the race
condition.

Jason Davies

www.jasondavies.com

Re: [VOTE] Apache CouchDB 0.10.0 release, second round

Posted by Jason Davies <ja...@jasondavies.com>.

Posted by Christopher Brown <cb...@opscode.com>.
+1

OS X Snow Leopard, Erlang R13B01.
55 of 55 test(s) run, 0 failures (40161 ms)

However, if I run multiple times in succession, I've seen several
tests fail intermittently.  Among them: stats, rev_stemming, and
erlang_views.  I've included the error from rev_stemming below.  Are
there leftover test artifacts or test race conditions I should avoid?

rev_stemming:
Assertion failed: db.open("bar", {revs:true})._revisions.ids.length ==
newLimit + 1
Assertion failed: docB2._conflicts[0] == docB1._rev) // We having
already updated bar before setting the limit, so it's still got // a
long rev history. compact to stem the revs. T(db.open("bar",
{revs:true})._revisions.ids.length == newLimit + 1

Cheers,
Chris

Posted by eric casteleijn <er...@canonical.com>.

Posted by Robert Dionne <di...@dionne-associates.com>.
OS X 10.6  Erlang R13B -- all futon tests pass in Safari 4.0 and
Firefox 3.0 -- all etaps pass.

+1

Bob

Posted by Paul Davis <pa...@gmail.com>.
On Fri, Oct 9, 2009 at 10:38 AM, Benoit Chesneau <bc...@gmail.com> wrote:

>>> Can you try to debug this with Paul? I don't want to release until we know
>>> what's going on.
>>>
>>> Thanks.
>>>

>> sure, I opened a ticket too.
>>
>> - benoît
>>

> after hanging myself i'm replying here. Thanks to the help of davisp
> and bitdiddle issue was found. It  was due to ports conflicts. (one
> other couchdb was running and co).  If nothing run on 5984 all tests
> pass. so 0.10 is working. imo tests should be done on an available
> port because in an automatic testing infrastructure (like packaging
> infrastructure) you can't make sure something isn't running on this
> port.
>
> anyway +1 for this release I will update the related ticket.
>
> - benoît

Thanks for being thorough Benoit. I'll look into getting the etap
tests to spawn its servers on a random port so we can avoid these
collisions.

Paul Davis

Re: [VOTE] Apache CouchDB 0.10.0 release, second round

Posted by Benoit Chesneau <bc...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Benoit Chesneau <bc...@gmail.com>.
On Fri, Oct 9, 2009 at 2:07 PM, Noah Slater <ns...@tumbolia.org> wrote:

>> gmake check fails on freebsd 7.2 :
>
>> on macosx make check fails too :
>
> Can you try to debug this with Paul? I don't want to release until we know
> what's going on.
>
> Thanks.

sure, I opened a ticket too.

- benoît

Re: [VOTE] Apache CouchDB 0.10.0 release, second round

Posted by Jan Lehnardt <ja...@apache.org>.
On 9 Oct 2009, at 11:59, Benoit Chesneau wrote:

>>> Can you try to debug this with Paul? I don't want to release until
>>> we know
>>> what's going on.
>>
>> This is a known issue and not blocking the release.
>>

> I didn't see any ticket about it before I opened one.

Heh, sorry. Not saying it was a reported issue. Adam said it was
on his todo a few weeks back. Note to self: When in doubt: JIRA it.

Cheers
Jan

Re: [VOTE] Apache CouchDB 0.10.0 release, second round

Posted by Benoit Chesneau <bc...@gmail.com>.
On Fri, Oct 9, 2009 at 8:17 PM, Jan Lehnardt <ja...@apache.org> wrote:

> On 9 Oct 2009, at 05:07, Noah Slater wrote:
>

>>> gmake check fails on freebsd 7.2 :
>>
>>> on macosx make check fails too :
>>
>> Can you try to debug this with Paul? I don't want to release until we know
>> what's going on.
>
> This is a known issue and not blocking the release.

I didn't see any ticket about it before I opened one.

- benoît.

Re: [VOTE] Apache CouchDB 0.10.0 release, second round

Posted by Jan Lehnardt <ja...@apache.org>.

Posted by Noah Slater <ns...@tumbolia.org>.

Posted by Benoit Chesneau <bc...@gmail.com>.
gmake check fails on freebsd 7.2 :

est/etap/070-couch-db....................
Crash dump was written to: erl_crash.dump
init terminating in do_boot (killed)
test/etap/070-couch-db....................dubious
        Test returned status 1 (wstat 256, 0x100)
DIED. FAILED tests 1-4
        Failed 4/4 tests, 0.00% okay
test/etap/080-config-get-set..............ok
test/etap/081-config-override.............ok
test/etap/082-config-register.............ok
test/etap/083-config-no-files.............ok
test/etap/090-task-status.................ok
test/etap/100-ref-counter.................ok
test/etap/110-replication-httpc...........
Crash dump was written to: erl_crash.dump
init terminating in do_boot (killed)
test/etap/110-replication-httpc...........dubious
        Test returned status 1 (wstat 256, 0x100)
DIED. FAILED tests 1-6
        Failed 6/6 tests, 0.00% okay
test/etap/111-replication-changes-feed....
Crash dump was written to: erl_crash.dump
init terminating in do_boot (killed)
test/etap/111-replication-changes-feed....dubious
        Test returned status 1 (wstat 256, 0x100)
DIED. FAILED tests 1-13
        Failed 13/13 tests, 0.00% okay
test/etap/112-replication-missing-revs....
Crash dump was written to: erl_crash.dump
init terminating in do_boot (killed)
test/etap/112-replication-missing-revs....dubious
        Test returned status 1 (wstat 256, 0x100)
DIED. FAILED tests 1-12
        Failed 12/12 tests, 0.00% okay
Failed Test                              Stat Wstat Total Fail  List of Failed
test/etap/070-couch-db.t                    1   256     4    8  1-4
test/etap/110-replication-httpc.t           1   256     6   12  1-6
test/etap/111-replication-changes-feed.t    1   256    13   26  1-13
test/etap/112-replication-missing-revs.t    1   256    12   24  1-12
Failed 4/25 test scripts. 35/331 subtests failed.
Files=25, Tests=331, 20 wallclock secs (16.91 cusr +  2.88 csys = 19.79 CPU)
Failed 4/25 test programs. 35/331 subtests failed.

Erlang R13B02 (erts-5.7.3) [source] [64-bit] [smp:2:2] [rq:2]
[async-threads:0] [hipe] [kernel-poll:false]

FreeBSD node0.couchdbhub.com 7.2-RELEASE-p2 FreeBSD 7.2-RELEASE-p2 #0:
Wed Jun 24 00:14:35 UTC 2009     root@amd64-builder.da
emonology.net:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/GENERIC  amd64

http tests are ok.

on macosx make check fails too :

test/etap/001-load........................ok
test/etap/010-file-basics.................ok
test/etap/011-file-headers................ok
test/etap/020-btree-basics................ok
test/etap/021-btree-reductions............ok
test/etap/030-doc-from-json...............ok
test/etap/031-doc-to-json.................ok
test/etap/040-util........................ok
test/etap/050-stream......................ok
test/etap/060-kt-merging..................ok
test/etap/061-kt-missing-leaves...........ok
test/etap/062-kt-remove-leaves............ok
test/etap/063-kt-get-leaves...............ok
test/etap/064-kt-counting.................ok
test/etap/065-kt-stemming.................ok
test/etap/070-couch-db....................
[...]
Files=25, Tests=331, 33 wallclock secs (11.73 cusr +  5.51 csys = 17.24 CPU)
Failed 4/25 test programs. 35/331 subtests failed.
make: *** [check] Error 1

http tests are ok.

Erlang R13B01 (erts-5.7.2) [source] [64-bit] [smp:2:2] [rq:2]
[async-threads:0] [kernel-poll:false]

Darwin enlil-2.local 10.0.0 Darwin Kernel Version 10.0.0: Fri Jul 31
22:47:34 PDT 2009; root:xnu-1456.1.25~1/RELEASE_I386 i386

I will test later on openbsd. Is make check supposed to work on these
platforms ?

Re: [VOTE] Apache CouchDB 0.10.0 release, second round

Posted by Sam Bisbee <sb...@computervip.com>.
Linux orbital 2.6.28-15-generic #52-Ubuntu SMP x86_64 GNU/Linux

Ubuntu 9.04, stable repository

Built correctly, all tests passed, etc.

+1

--
Sam Bisbee

Re: [VOTE] Apache CouchDB 0.10.0 release, second round

Posted by Mark Hammond <sk...@gmail.com>.
On 8/10/2009 3:29 PM, Noah Slater wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I would like call a vote for the Apache CouchDB 0.10.0 release, second
> round.

I'm not yet up on the formal procedure, but the best I can offer for
Windows is a token +0.  There are 2 main reasons for this:

* I've needed to use the svn branch to build and test a windows
installer.  For reasons which will be resolved by me in time for 0.11,
it was necessary to re-bootstrap the release to get an installer out,
and that doesn't seem possible to do from a tarball.

* As reported in the past, the test suite fails fairly badly due to an
inability to delete a database while it is in use.  The few tests I ran
manually did work.  Testing with my application was also successful.

I've put a windows installer for 0.10 at:

http://people.apache.org/~mhammond/dist/0.10.0/

You will find an executable and .md5 file there.  It would be great if
people can try it out and offer all feedback.  I've only mentioned this
on the dev list - once I get a few reports of success (and after 0.10
officially ships) I'll announce it on the user list.

Cheers,

Mark

Re: [VOTE] Apache CouchDB 0.10.0 release, second round

Posted by Jan Lehnardt <ja...@apache.org>.
On 7 Oct 2009, at 21:29, Noah Slater wrote:

> I would like call a vote for the Apache CouchDB
> 0.10.0 release, second round.

+1

Mac OS X 10.6.1, Ubuntu (whatever my server has
from last year), both on Erlang 5.7.2 / R13B02.

Signatures look good. Thanks Noah for adding the
checks for next time and putting this together!

Cheers
Jan

Re: [VOTE] Apache CouchDB 0.10.0 release, second round

Posted by Nicholas Orr <ni...@zxgen.net>.
Gentoo: amd64
Erlang: R13B01
test suite: pass

+1

[VOTE RESULTS] (Was Re: [VOTE] Apache CouchDB 0.10.0 release, second round)

Posted by Noah Slater <ns...@tumbolia.org>.
Hello,

The final tally of the vote is:

   11 +1 votes
   1 +0 votes

This exceeds the required minimum three +1 votes and the proposal
passes.

I shall prepare the release as soon as possible.

The individual votes are as follows:

	+1 Nicholas Orr
	http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/couchdb-dev/200910.mbox/%3c55047b710910072157y2ede6a59x49bebe99e0f6492e@mail.gmail.com%3e

	+1 eric casteleijn
	http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/couchdb-dev/200910.mbox/%3c4ACDF877.1020201@canonical.com%3e

	+1 Christopher Brown
	http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/couchdb-dev/200910.mbox/%3c699204510910080842v3406cf36yf8ce43a5befce98@mail.gmail.com%3e

	+1 Jan Lehnardt
	http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/couchdb-dev/200910.mbox/%3cC837CD92-CBA3-4CEB-8B84-F9F59395C0E7@apache.org%3e

	+1 Sam Bisbee
	http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/couchdb-dev/200910.mbox/%3c20091008161924.GB13566@orbital%3e

	+1 Damien Katz
	http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/couchdb-dev/200910.mbox/%3c7D2B9721-4774-4B72-9A57-3B2D062DB035@apache.org%3e

	+1 Robert Dionne
	http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/couchdb-dev/200910.mbox/%3c1994FE3D-15D5-4091-AEDC-D197EBE9F1D5@dionne-associates.com%3e

	+1 Benoit Chesneau
	http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/couchdb-dev/200910.mbox/%3cb7cd8ed10910090738p9582775vf8e897b5c848144b@mail.gmail.com%3e

	+1 Chris Anderson
	http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/couchdb-dev/200910.mbox/%3ce282921e0910102250n7377635dg959fd3bf807b061@mail.gmail.com%3e

	+0 Mark Hammond
	http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/couchdb-dev/200910.mbox/%3c4AD004BF.10109@gmail.com%3e

	+1 Jason Davies
	http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/couchdb-dev/200910.mbox/%3c93C7EC33-C3C0-406E-A35A-B18A78C7A45E@jasondavies.com%3e

	+1 cinnebar
	http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/couchdb-dev/200910.mbox/%3c66f04a9d0910101217g551272e1i5af04c6ca397b87a@mail.gmail.com%3e

Thanks to everyone who voted.

Best,

Posted by Chris Anderson <jc...@apache.org>.
On Fri, Oct 9, 2009 at 1:29 PM, Chris Anderson <jc...@apache.org> wrote:
> On Wed, Oct 7, 2009 at 9:29 PM, Noah Slater <ns...@tumbolia.org> wrote:
>> Hello,
>>
>> I would like call a vote for the Apache CouchDB 0.10.0 release, second
>> round.
>>
>> Changes since the last round:
>>
>>  * Bug fixes for replication
>>  * Various etap tests now work properly
>>

> Having trouble with the build but I think it's just a macports fail.
> I'll be able to test again on different hardware tonight.

+1

Fixed my build issues, I'd had a bad version of nspr. All better now.

Tests pass here, Sofa runs fine as well.

Chris

OS X 10.5.8
Erlang 5.6.5

--
Chris Anderson
http://jchrisa.net

Re: [VOTE] Apache CouchDB 0.10.0 release, second round

Posted by Chris Anderson <jc...@apache.org>.

--
Chris Anderson
http://jchrisa.net

Re: [VOTE] Apache CouchDB 0.10.0 release, second round

Posted by Damien Katz <da...@apache.org>.
+1

Looks good on OS X 10.5, Erlang R13B.

-Damien