Posted to users@directory.apache.org by Ca...@ibs-ag.com on 2014/10/07 22:16:15 UTC

Hey ApacheDS team!

Thanks for your continued support and excellent work on this great product.

We have 20+ customers in the field on ApacheDS M16. The vast majority of them have been using it the last 6 months without issue.
However in a few of the larger installs, where there are 4-6 application servers, we've had some trouble.
On a dozen or so occasions, partitions have randomly become inoperable. The only recourse in these cases is to restore the partitions from a backup.
I'm pretty sure this is due to the concurrency challenges Emmanuel has explained in emails over the past year.

When this situation occurs there is a prolonged downtime as we work with the customers to restore.
As one might expect, we're getting pressure for answers and so I'm looking for some guidance.

A few questions:
Would upgrading our installed base to M17 lessen exposure to this concurrency situation?

Should we sit tight and wait for another release that may offer additional guard conditions or something more to address this?

I know there is an effort to replace JDBM with a Mavibot backend, is this something we can look for in 3, 6, 12 months?

On this side, there is a significant cost to uplift these customers so we'd rather not do it twice.
However, we saw that M16 is no longer available for download so we're trying to determine our best path forward.

Many thanks, Carlo Accorsi

RE: Hey ApacheDS team!

Posted by Ca...@ibs-ag.com.
OK, thanks for the update Emmanuel. The Mavibot stuff looks really cool. Can't wait!

> Thanks for your continued support and excellent work on this great product.
Thanks for using ApacheDS!

Kiran response is quite clear, I have not a lot to add. Just know that we are heavily betting on mavibot to solve all those issues that bug us (and you...) for months now.

> On this side, there is a significant cost to uplift these customers so we'd rather not do it twice.
> However, we saw that M16 is no longer available for download
It is !

http://archive.apache.org/dist/directory/apacheds/dist/2.0.0-M16/

But it's not visible on this list :

http://directory.apache.org/apacheds/download-old-versions.html

It should now be fixed (but will probably take a couple of hours to be
available on the site)

Re: Hey ApacheDS team!

Posted by Pierre Smits <pi...@gmail.com>.
HI Carlo,

You can check progress on each milestone and release candidate in JIRA.

For 2.0.0.M17 the link is:
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/DIRSERVER/fixforversion/12326507/?selectedTab=com.atlassian.jira.jira-projects-plugin:version-summary-panel

For 2.0.0.M18 the link is:
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/DIRSERVER/fixforversion/12327457/?selectedTab=com.atlassian.jira.jira-projects-plugin:version-summary-panel

Both pages have a 'release notes' link, showing the resolved issues of the
milestones.

Best regards,

Pierre Smits

*ORRTIZ.COM <http://www.orrtiz.com>*
Services & Solutions for Cloud-
Based Manufacturing, Professional
Services and Retail & Trade
http://www.orrtiz.com

Re: Hey ApacheDS team!

Posted by Emmanuel Lécharny <el...@gmail.com>.
Le 07/10/14 22:16, Carlo.Accorsi@ibs-ag.com a écrit :
> Thanks for your continued support and excellent work on this great product.
Thanks for using ApacheDS!

Kiran response is quite clear, I have not a lot to add. Just know that
we are heavily betting on mavibot to solve all those issues that bug us
(and you...) for months now.

> On this side, there is a significant cost to uplift these customers so we'd rather not do it twice.
> However, we saw that M16 is no longer available for download
It is !

http://archive.apache.org/dist/directory/apacheds/dist/2.0.0-M16/

But it's not visible on this list :

http://directory.apache.org/apacheds/download-old-versions.html

It should now be fixed (but will probably take a couple of hours to be
available on the site)

RE: Hey ApacheDS team!

Posted by Ca...@ibs-ag.com.
Hi Kiran, thanks for the information. This helps us out. I think we'll start looking at M18 from the trunk and then wait for its release.
Also we'd like to experiment with the index tool.  If possible please let us know where it can be found and Thanks!

> Thanks for your continued support and excellent work on this great product.
>
> We have 20+ customers in the field on ApacheDS M16. The vast majority
> of them have been using it the last 6 months without issue.
> However in a few of the larger installs, where there are 4-6
> application servers, we've had some trouble.
> On a dozen or so occasions, partitions have randomly become inoperable.
> The only recourse in these cases is to restore the partitions from a backup.
> I'm pretty sure this is due to the concurrency challenges Emmanuel has
> explained in emails over the past year.
>
> When this situation occurs there is a prolonged downtime as we work
> with the customers to restore.
> As one might expect, we're getting pressure for answers and so I'm
> looking for some guidance.
>
> A few questions:
> Would upgrading our installed base to M17 lessen exposure to this
> concurrency situation?
>
> not much

> Should we sit tight and wait for another release that may offer
> additional guard conditions or something more to address this?
>
> I suggest you wait till M18 comes out, I have been using the current
trunk(M18) on a large number of
production servers (mostly cause I am familiar with the internals) This version has significant improvements that lessen but not completely avoid the concurrency issues.
Note that there is _no_ data loss due to this issue and generally building the indices fixes the problem.

I have a tool that re-builds all these indices which is not yet opensourced, I will check if this can be released under ASL2.

> I know there is an effort to replace JDBM with a Mavibot backend, is
> this something we can look for in 3, 6, 12 months?
>
> Mavibot release is currently waiting on me, I am working on it and
> will
update this list as soon as I
complete it, say like under 6 months in the worst case.

> On this side, there is a significant cost to uplift these customers so
> we'd rather not do it twice.
> However, we saw that M16 is no longer available for download so we're
> trying to determine our best path forward.
>
> we may release M18 in the coming weeks, and again I suggest you
> upgrade to
this before migrating
to Mavibot based version (which will be released after M18)

> Many thanks, Carlo Accorsi

thank you

--
Kiran Ayyagari
http://keydap.com

Re: Hey ApacheDS team!

Posted by Kiran Ayyagari <ka...@apache.org>.
Hi Carlo,

On Wed, Oct 8, 2014 at 1:46 AM, <Ca...@ibs-ag.com> wrote:

> Thanks for your continued support and excellent work on this great product.
>
> We have 20+ customers in the field on ApacheDS M16. The vast majority of
> them have been using it the last 6 months without issue.
> However in a few of the larger installs, where there are 4-6 application
> servers, we've had some trouble.
> On a dozen or so occasions, partitions have randomly become inoperable.
> The only recourse in these cases is to restore the partitions from a backup.
> I'm pretty sure this is due to the concurrency challenges Emmanuel has
> explained in emails over the past year.
>
> When this situation occurs there is a prolonged downtime as we work with
> the customers to restore.
> As one might expect, we're getting pressure for answers and so I'm looking
> for some guidance.
>
> A few questions:
> Would upgrading our installed base to M17 lessen exposure to this
> concurrency situation?
>
> not much

> Should we sit tight and wait for another release that may offer additional
> guard conditions or something more to address this?
>
> I suggest you wait till M18 comes out, I have been using the current
trunk(M18) on a large number of
production servers (mostly cause I am familiar with the internals)
This version has significant improvements that lessen but not completely
avoid the concurrency issues.
Note that there is _no_ data loss due to this issue and generally building
the indices fixes the problem.

I have a tool that re-builds all these indices which is not yet
opensourced, I will check if this can be released
under ASL2.

> I know there is an effort to replace JDBM with a Mavibot backend, is this
> something we can look for in 3, 6, 12 months?
>
> Mavibot release is currently waiting on me, I am working on it and will
update this list as soon as I
complete it, say like under 6 months in the worst case.

> On this side, there is a significant cost to uplift these customers so
> we'd rather not do it twice.
> However, we saw that M16 is no longer available for download so we're
> trying to determine our best path forward.
>
> we may release M18 in the coming weeks, and again I suggest you upgrade to
this before migrating
to Mavibot based version (which will be released after M18)

> Many thanks, Carlo Accorsi

thank you

--
Kiran Ayyagari