Posted to dev@harmony.apache.org by Mark Hindess <ma...@googlemail.com> on 2006/06/20 14:40:18 UTC

Re: [general] milestones and roadmap

On 20 June 2006 at 19:24, "Mikhail Loenko" <ml...@gmail.com> wrote:
> 2006/6/20, Geir Magnusson Jr <ge...@pobox.com>:
> > I'd like to start assembling a high-level roadmap of the milestones we'd
> > like to achieve in the next 12 months.
> >
> > I volunteer to track and organize, but this clearly is a community
> > activity so lets start by just tossing out ideas.
> >
> > 1) By ApcheCon EU - a combined snapshot that is a pure open source VM +
> > classlib.  Issues - I assume we'll use DRLVM.

1.5) Reduce classlib code to one implementation per module.

> > 2) Integration of Doug Lea's java.util.concurrency package.  Issues -
> > right now, Nathan is looking at it, and we'll need support from the
> > various VMs.
> >
> > 3) Build framework - I'm hoping Mark/IBM is able to get us booted on
> > this via a contribution to /testing that makes it easy for people to do
> > the same CI runs that he's doing
> >
> > 4) Incorporate the Java SE TCK into build framework.  This requires a
> > few things, first the build framework and people interested in working
> > on that, and second, the Java SE TCK.  I'm working on the latter in my
> > role as the ASFs JCP rep, and I'm guessing this will take a while.
> >
> > 5) Switch to Java 5 - in both classlib and our VMs
> >
> > 6) CORBA - start looking at Yoko to see what we can reuse for Harmony,
> > and start integrating that.
> >
> > 7) Test coverage - should we think about targets for test coverage ?
> >
> > 8) Package completion roadmap
> >
> > 9) JMX - right now, I believe mark has finished integrating MX4J, but we
> > need to start enhancing that with Java 5 features.
> >
> > What else? :)
>
> 10) Develop and execute test infrastructure: stability, reliability,
> stress, performance, whatever tests. Regular runs on various platforms

11) Use system libraries, dynamically where appropriate - libz, libpng,
libjpeg, liblcms, libicu*, etc.

12) Port to a 64bit little endian platform - amd64

13) Port to a 64bit big endian platform - ppc64

Regards,
 Mark.

Re: [general] milestones and roadmap

Posted by Geir Magnusson Jr <ge...@pobox.com>.

Mark Hindess wrote:
> On 20 June 2006 at 19:24, "Mikhail Loenko" <ml...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> 2006/6/20, Geir Magnusson Jr <ge...@pobox.com>:
>>> I'd like to start assembling a high-level roadmap of the milestones we'd
>>> like to achieve in the next 12 months.
>>>
>>> I volunteer to track and organize, but this clearly is a community
>>> activity so lets start by just tossing out ideas.
>>>
>>> 1) By ApcheCon EU - a combined snapshot that is a pure open source VM +
>>> classlib.  Issues - I assume we'll use DRLVM.
>
> 1.5) Reduce classlib code to one implementation per module.

What does this mean, exactly?

geir

Re: [general] milestones and roadmap

Posted by Alexey Petrenko <al...@gmail.com>.
2006/6/20, Mark Hindess <ma...@googlemail.com>:
> > 16) Port to MacOS X
> This could be the same as 13 but I was thinking of linux/ppc64.  MacOSX
> would be more interesting but I think it makes sense to change one
> aspect of the platform at a time.  So you are right to make this a
> separate item.
And I was thinking about MacOS X on Intel processors :)

So we found one more task: Port to MacOS X on PowerPC...

--
Alexey A. Petrenko
Intel Middleware Products Division

Re: [general] milestones and roadmap

Posted by Alexey Petrenko <al...@gmail.com>.
2006/6/20, Mark Hindess <ma...@googlemail.com>:

> On 20 June 2006 at 19:24, "Mikhail Loenko" <ml...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > 2006/6/20, Geir Magnusson Jr <ge...@pobox.com>:
> > > I'd like to start assembling a high-level roadmap of the milestones we'd
> > > like to achieve in the next 12 months.
> > >
> > > I volunteer to track and organize, but this clearly is a community
> > > activity so lets start by just tossing out ideas.
> > >
> > > 1) By ApcheCon EU - a combined snapshot that is a pure open source VM +
> > > classlib.  Issues - I assume we'll use DRLVM.
>
> 1.5) Reduce classlib code to one implementation per module.
>
> > > 2) Integration of Doug Lea's java.util.concurrency package.  Issues -
> > > right now, Nathan is looking at it, and we'll need support from the
> > > various VMs.
> > >
> > > 3) Build framework - I'm hoping Mark/IBM is able to get us booted on
> > > this via a contribution to /testing that makes it easy for people to do
> > > the same CI runs that he's doing
> > >
> > > 4) Incorporate the Java SE TCK into build framework.  This requires a
> > > few things, first the build framework and people interested in working
> > > on that, and second, the Java SE TCK.  I'm working on the latter in my
> > > role as the ASFs JCP rep, and I'm guessing this will take a while.
> > >
> > > 5) Switch to Java 5 - in both classlib and our VMs
> > >
> > > 6) CORBA - start looking at Yoko to see what we can reuse for Harmony,
> > > and start integrating that.
> > >
> > > 7) Test coverage - should we think about targets for test coverage ?
> > >
> > > 8) Package completion roadmap
> > >
> > > 9) JMX - right now, I believe mark has finished integrating MX4J, but we
> > > need to start enhancing that with Java 5 features.
> > >
> > > What else? :)
> >
> > 10) Develop and execute test infrastructure: stability, reliability,
> > stress, performance, whatever tests. Regular runs on various platforms
>
> 11) Use system libraries, dynamically where appropriate - libz, libpng,
> libjpeg, liblcms, libicu*, etc.
>
> 12) Port to a 64bit little endian platform - amd64
>
> 13) Port to a 64bit big endian platform - ppc64

14) Port to em64t platform (Lost from Marina's letter)

15) Port to ipf platform (Lost from Marina's letter)

16) Port to MacOS X

It looks like roadmap for longer then 12 months period ;)