Posted to derby-user@db.apache.org by Michael McCutcheon <mi...@frontiernet.net> on 2006/09/12 07:14:34 UTC

how to make create script from existing database?

I'm using the CREATE TABLES feature of toplink/netbeans with the JPA.

Basically it generates the tables from your entity classes.

What I would like to do then is generate a database creation script
from the generated tables that shows the create table/constraints, etc.

This is so that I can reproduce everything in the schema in another
database (i.e. dev/test/prod) cleanly.  Also would like to see the
constraints it is generating, etc.

Is there a way to do this with derby?

thanks,

Mike

Re: how to make create script from existing database?

Posted by Anders Morken <an...@stud.ntnu.no>.
While Derby doesn't have the ability to create a SQL script to
regenerate an existing database built-in, there are third-party
utilities that do. SQuirrel SQL is a graphical SQL client which supports
Derb, and (with an included plug-in) can generate SQL for recreating
tables and populating them with data.

For more information on SQuirreL and Derby you can take a look at
http://db.apache.org/derby/integrate/SQuirreL_Derby.html - it also has
links to downloads. =)

Hope this helps,
--
Anders Morken

My opinions may have changed, but not the fact that I am right!

Re: how to make create script from existing database?

Posted by Kristian Waagan <Kr...@Sun.COM>.
Alexander Schatten wrote:
> Myrna van Lunteren wrote:
>>
>> Have you looked at the dblook tool? See Derby Tools and Utilities
>> Guide, http://db.apache.org/derby/manuals/index.html#docs_10.1,
>> especially http://db.apache.org/derby/docs/10.1/tools/ctoolsdblook.html
>>

> I have actually similar problems, however the drawback of dblook is,
> that it only creates the DDL and *not* the insert statements containing
> the data of the database, which would be particularly helpful in
> development activities.
>

> from my point of view, this is the nicest feature of hsqldb, and why I
> still prefer to use it in development: It can dump the whole database as
> a script file.

Hi Alex,

You could use the SYSCS_UTIL.SYSCS_EXPORT_TABLE (or the
SYSCS_UTIL.SYSCS_EXPORT_QUERY) function.
This will dump the table to a file, which can be read back into the
database with SYSCS_UTIL.SYSCS_IMPORT_TABLE. Dumping a database could be
scripted (using for instance Java or a shell script).

If you think a more user-friendly way of doing this is required, for
instance dumping all tables in a schema or database, feel free to add a
new feature request in Jira:
http://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/DERBY

I did a quick search, but could not find an existing request.

Kristian

Posted by Alexander Schatten <al...@gmx.at>.

Posted by Myrna van Lunteren <m....@gmail.com>.
On 9/11/06, Michael McCutcheon <mi...@frontiernet.net> wrote:
> I'm using the CREATE TABLES feature of toplink/netbeans with the JPA.
>
> Basically it generates the tables from your entity classes.
>
> What I would like to do then is generate a database creation script
> from the generated tables that shows the create table/constraints, etc.
>
> This is so that I can reproduce everything in the schema in another
> database (i.e. dev/test/prod) cleanly.  Also would like to see the
> constraints it is generating, etc.
>
> Is there a way to do this with derby?
>
> thanks,
>
> Mike

Have you looked at the dblook tool? See Derby Tools and Utilities
Guide, http://db.apache.org/derby/manuals/index.html#docs_10.1,
especially http://db.apache.org/derby/docs/10.1/tools/ctoolsdblook.html

Hth
Myrna