Posted to users@maven.apache.org by rmatthews <rm...@nakedobjects.org> on 2007/11/30 14:49:10 UTC

Controlling build scope

I have a multi-module project that produces many artifacts and generates
reports etc. When I am developing I don't wish to rebuild everything every
time.  For example if I am working on the code I don't want to generate the
documentation (for  inclusion with the distribution file and created using
docbkx rather than generation of the site, which I do have control over via
the site phase) and produce the distributions every time, I simply want to
know that the system still build and tests all run.  Similarly when working
on the documentation I would like to simply produce the documentation.

Via the phases I get little control over what is done - I believe I need to
use "mvn install" so that the inter-dependencies between my modules are
managed (ie for when I have changed two files in two different modules).
Therefore I cannot simply compile and test code, I have to create the
distributions as well.

I thought that profiles might be the way to go, but the "Better Builds With
Maven" book suggests that profiles are for dealing with "non portable"
issues.

How do other people deal with this type of requirement?

Many thanks

Robert Matthews

Re: Controlling build scope

Posted by Wendy Smoak <ws...@gmail.com>.
On Nov 30, 2007 6:49 AM, rmatthews <rm...@nakedobjects.org> wrote:

> I have a multi-module project that produces many artifacts and generates
> reports etc. When I am developing I don't wish to rebuild everything every
> time.  For example if I am working on the code I don't want to generate the
> documentation (for  inclusion with the distribution file and created using
> docbkx rather than generation of the site, which I do have control over via
> the site phase) and produce the distributions every time, I simply want to
> know that the system still build and tests all run.  Similarly when working
> on the documentation I would like to simply produce the documentation.

Depending on how the project is organized, you can use profiles to
define groups of modules.

The 'default' build 'mvn install' would probably be just the code,
then you might add -P docs to also build the documentation.

If you *only* want to build the documentation, then drop into that
module and build from there.

--
Wendy