Posted to common-dev@hadoop.apache.org by Cosmin Lehene <cl...@adobe.com> on 2009/11/20 18:04:52 UTC

Hadoop coding style guideline

Hi,

I was trying to make a patch and looking over the Hadoop guidelines for code at http://wiki.apache.org/hadoop/CodeReviewChecklist, trying to follow the conventions.

Looking through code I found a few "patterns", however, these differ even in the same class sometimes. Here's a collection of method declaration styles I gathered from 2 or 3 files: http://pastie.org/707389

I have to admit Sun's code conventions are a bit unclear too, so maybe a list of settings for the IDE like tab size, indent, continuation indent, exceptions to the rule, etc. would help.

Cosmin

Re: Hadoop coding style guideline

Posted by Daniel Templeton <Da...@Sun.COM>.
I have to weigh in strongly on the pro-braces side.  I've seen too many
instances (not necessarily in Hadoop) where there was something like:

if (foo)
   stmt;
   otherstmt;

It's not about readability.  It's about maintainability.

Daniel

Posted by Eli Collins <el...@cloudera.com>.
> My preference is to permit both.  I like to maximize the amount of readable
> logic per screen, and find that close braces around one-line expressions
> don't improve readability (since indentation already indicates the nesting)
> and decrease the amount of per-screen logic. However I know reasonable
> people who prefer to always fully-bracket their code.  I see no strong
> reason to force one style over the other.

I see a couple benefits to choosing one and being consistent:
consistency makes code more readable (the main motivation for a style
guide) and works well with automated tools (eg would be nice if
checkstyle didn't generate huge diffs). Would also be nice to follow
the Sun convention since that's what Hadoop claims it does.

Thanks,
Eli

Re: Hadoop coding style guideline

Posted by Doug Cutting <cu...@apache.org>.

Posted by Aaron Kimball <aa...@cloudera.com>.
Thanks for getting that list of examples together. That's a pretty good mix!
I went through these too without looking at Todd's comments first to avoid
prejudice. Here's my results..

1) ugly dangling ')'
6-7) would prefer 4 spaces before 'throws'
11-12) ok.
16-17) ok. I don't think we should mandate one of 11-12 over 16-17 or vice
versa. Both seem good.
22-23) ok. In the same spirit as the former.
27-28) I think indent should be "four spaces" or "align to the (", but not
some other random distance.
32--35) A bit C-ish, but okay? Would prefer to condense this to look like
16--17
39--46) please don't staircase
50--52) Would prefer one fewer space on those; indent only to the '('
56--59) The dangling ')' again looks lonely.
62--67) This just combines two styles I've previously been unhappy about.

So I think we're mostly in accordance.
I'm less happy about the example on 32--35 than he is, but I also don't
think it's a bad thing necessarily.

I also second the vote for wikification of examples (both good and bad).

While we're on the subject of style, and, without trying to open a *huge*
can of worms... I've got two other grievances worth mentioning:

First, I've been picked on by others for using this brace style:

if (foo) {
  stmt;
} else {
  otherstmt;
}

and have been told to drop the braces because they look "ugly" if stmt or
otherstmt are only one line.

In http://java.sun.com/docs/codeconv/html/CodeConventions.doc6.html#449though,
the sun coding conventions *clearly* say that braces are always to
be used. Can we get a ruling here? My vote is to do as the SCC says.
(Rationale: if we later expand otherstmt to two lines, or expand stmt to
include a nested if, we might accidentally inject a bug.) If we're going to
allow "dangling one-liners" though, we need to clearly state this deviation
in our own style guide.

And second, what's our story on tabs vs. spaces? In
http://java.sun.com/docs/codeconv/html/CodeConventions.doc3.html#262 they
claim "The exact construction of the indentation (spaces vs. tabs) is
unspecified." So much for standards! :P I know that we have a
well-established guideline that we indent by 2s, not by 4s. But beyond that,
I've always used spaces all around. My .vimrc includes:
set tabstop=2
set shiftwidth=2
set expandtab

Various Hadoop sources mix tabs and spaces -- sometimes on the same line!
Moving forward, can we pick one or the other for all new/modified source?
The Hadoop style guidelines do not specify one or the other. My vote is for
spaces all around. At least within the MapReduce codebase, it seems as
though there's only a few instances of tabs really remaining:

aaron@jargon:~/src/git/mapred/src/java$ ack '\t' | wc -l
144

.. so it seems as though the consensus is pretty existent. I wouldn't mind
if we formally codified it though.

- Aaron

Posted by Aaron Kimball <aa...@cloudera.com>.

Posted by Aaron Kimball <aa...@cloudera.com>.