Posted to dev@groovy.apache.org by Steve Byrne <sb...@gmail.com> on 2016/05/22 16:10:38 UTC

Re: groovy-lang.org down for now

> On May 22, 2016, at 8:58 AM, Jochen Theodorou <bl...@gmx.org> wrote:
>
> On 22.05.2016 16:40, Steve Byrne wrote:
>> [Copying from dev@groovy]
>>
>> What about backing out the change for now?  This is looking really
>> bad...think about how it looks from the outside:
>>
>> 1) Pivotal appears to "abandon" Groovy as a language -- does not send a
>> positive signal about the language's future prospects
>
> Why is the perception of an outside person here only a "appears"? Oh and don't forget blaming Pivotal for that.

Well, they did cease support for business reasons.  But, if someone who is not looking closely just notes in passing that Groovy was cast out, the inference one might make is that Pivotal lost faith in Groovy's viability.  And thus, perhaps, the observer should too, or at least cal into question their reliance (current or planned) on this language.

>> 2) _Without warning_ the groovy-lang.org <http://groovy-lang.org> site
>> *DISAPPEARS*.   "Oh well,", people think, "looks like Groovy is done
>> for.  _Glad we did not make that decision to depend on Groovy for our
>> go-forward technology_"
> >
>> 3) The problem isn't being corrected.  This looks like either a) nobody
>> is "a the wheel" (of the car), or b) the folks behind Groovy (whomever
>> they are, again I am speaking as it would appear to the outside) are
>> just really incompetent, and again "we're glad we did not decide to
>> invest development resources into using Groovy", or, "Wow, after Pivotal
>> abandoning Groovy, and now the whole Groovy lang site disappearing _in
>> the middle of the night_", we'd better move off Groovy -- too much risk"
>
> You can add
>
> 148.251.23.208 groovy-lang.org
>
> to your hosts file to get the DNS entry right. It is important to mention its temporary nature though. This bypasses the DNS system, and the IP will change in the future.

Thanks!! This should have been posted to this and dev@groovy on FRIDAY I think.  Has it been announced on Twitter, G+, etc?  I haven't seen it, but doesn't mean it didn't happen.

At least saying "we know about it, it's because of the transition, here's what you can do for now" fixes the perception that it's just "gone away".

Heck, I'd register the domain myself even if it's for a short while just to get this going again -- Apache seems to have really fallen down on this one.

Steve

Re: groovy-lang.org down for now

Posted by Mario Garcia <ma...@gmail.com>.
148.251.23.208 www.groovy-lang.org is working for me, thanks Jochen.

I would post the temporary mapping in users list in case anybody else needs
to access documentation/etc specially if the problem persists tomorrow (I
really hope not!!)
Mario

Posted by Jochen Theodorou <bl...@gmx.org>.

Posted by Jochen Theodorou <bl...@gmx.org>.

Posted by Jochen Theodorou <bl...@gmx.org>.
On 22.05.2016 18:10, Steve Byrne wrote:
[...]
>> You can add
>>
>> 148.251.23.208 groovy-lang.org
>>
>> to your hosts file to get the DNS entry right. It is important to mention its temporary nature though. This bypasses the DNS system, and the IP will change in the future.
>
> Thanks!! This should have been posted to this and dev@groovy on FRIDAY I think.  Has it been announced on Twitter, G+, etc?

i posted it to #apachegroovy and #groovylang on twitter

>  I haven't seen it, but doesn't mean it didn't happen.

it was just before I replied you

> At least saying "we know about it, it's because of the transition, here's what you can do for now" fixes the perception that it's just "gone away".
> Heck, I'd register the domain myself even if it's for a short while just to get this going again -- Apache seems to have really fallen down on this one.

the domain is registered, but the name servers seem not to resolve the
name. I tried contacting infra, but got no reply so far. I think the
problem wont be solved before monday at all... Anyway, without further
details it is difficult to get a comprehensive story out about this -
without making apache looking bad.

bye Jochen

Re: groovy-lang.org down for now

Posted by Guillaume Laforge <gl...@gmail.com>.
Steve,

On Sun, May 22, 2016 at 6:10 PM, Steve Byrne <sb...@gmail.com> wrote:

> [...]
> Thanks!! This should have been posted to this and dev@groovy on FRIDAY I
> think.  Has it been announced on Twitter, G+, etc?  I haven't seen it, but
> doesn't mean it didn't happen.
>
> At least saying "we know about it, it's because of the transition, here's
> what you can do for now" fixes the perception that it's just "gone away".

I didn't announce the domain name transition as I didn't know there would
be a downtime.
Had I known, of course, I would have warned everybody on all possible
channels.
But as soon as I noticed about the site being unreachable, I immediately
took action to tell everyone about it on the mailing-list and on Twitter.
Now for the trick, I didn't know about it, and Jochen found that out today,
but he gave it here and on twitter as well (even if only on his personal
account)

> Heck, I'd register the domain myself even if it's for a short while just
> to get this going again -- Apache seems to have really fallen down on this
> one.

We couldn't have registered it again, as it was "in transfer", nobody could
acquire it.

--
Guillaume Laforge

Blog: http://glaforge.appspot.com/