Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Alexander Schmidt <as...@i5.informatik.rwth-aachen.de> on 2002/08/23 11:27:52 UTC

URL Rewriting with Tomcat 4.0.1?

Hello!
I have an URL e.g. /opencms/opencms/colangamma but want to have /colangamma.
So i think i have to do URL-Rewriting.
How can i do it only with Tomcat 4.0.1? Or is there no possibility.

Thanks
      Alex

Redirects by TOMCAT in server.xml?

Posted by Alexander Schmidt <as...@i5.informatik.rwth-aachen.de>.
Hi!
I will explain my problem better!
I have an application opencms. With this application you can create and
manage HTML-Sites.
The program uses Tomcat 4.0! To let me show the sites, i have to type in the
browser
the URL "http://localhost:8080/opencms/opencms/COLANgamma/index.html" , but
it is too long for me.
So i want to redirect it. I only want to type in the URL
"http://localhost:8080/COLANgamma/index.html". I want to do the redirection
with TOMCAT 4.0 in that way, that i configure the server.xml.
But I don´t find any solution. I know that there is a possibility with
Apache, but we don´t use it.

Thanks
      A.Schmidt

Re: Redirects and URL-Rewriting in server.xml

Posted by Milt Epstein <me...@uiuc.edu>.
On Fri, 23 Aug 2002, Alexander Schmidt wrote:

> Hello!
> Can I do in the server.xml file redirect or URL-Rewriting and when how?
> I want when i type in colangamma he goes to the site
> opencms/opencms/Colangamma!Who can help me?

First of all, be clear in your usage of "URL-Rewriting".  Because in
the servlet world, that term refers to rewriting the URL to include
the session id, in the case that you don't want to or can't use
cookies to manage sessions.

Second, I think you should elaborate on what your situation/problem
is.  That is, what application(s)/context(s) do you have, what's your
current URL mapping scheme, what you'd like it to be, etc.  That will
better allow people to help you.  The above is certainly not clear to
me (e.g. what you you mean by "when I type in colangamma"?).

Milt Epstein
Research Programmer
Systems and Technology Services (STS)
mepstein@uiuc.edu

Redirects and URL-Rewriting in server.xml