Posted to java-user@lucene.apache.org by Peyman Faratin <pe...@robustlinks.com> on 2011/11/16 15:12:03 UTC

ElasticSearch

Hi

A client is considering moving from Lucene to ElasticSearch. What is the community's opinion on ES?

thank you

Peyman

Re: ElasticSearch

Posted by Bill Mitchell <vo...@attglobal.net>.
Under the covers, ElasticSearch contains mutliple lucene indexes -- so the
full expressiveness of lucene queries are translatable to ElasticSearch --
but the benefit of using ES as an abstraction layer to give sharded
searches is something attractive enough that we're looking at it too.  ;)

We typically see fairly large lucene index over time, and having
ElasticSearch to 'purge' sets of data, but still get federated searches is
very very attractive.

Perhaps a discussion of moving from SOLR to ElasticSearch would be a more
fair comparison.

regards,
Bill

Re: ElasticSearch

Posted by Jason Rutherglen <ja...@gmail.com>.
The docs are slim on examples.

Re: ElasticSearch

Posted by Simon Willnauer <si...@googlemail.com>.
On Thu, Nov 17, 2011 at 8:03 PM, Yonik Seeley
<yo...@lucidimagination.com> wrote:
> On Thu, Nov 17, 2011 at 2:53 PM, Simon Willnauer
> <si...@googlemail.com> wrote:
>> dude, look at this query... its insane isn't it :)
>
> Sorry... what's the equivalent you'd like instead?

oh, I think there are many ways to design a DSL for querying..
something I can read and understand without reading documentation
maybe? :)

> Or if you're just unjustifiably bitching about Solr again, maybe I
> should take a stroll through Lucene land and bitch about
> incomprehensible code, APIs that are increasingly hard to use, APIs
> that keep changing on a whim w/o regard to existing users, etc.

I think you should do it. I mean this can only take us further! Ask
for 400% and get 100% ....more than nothing. Sitting there thinking
the APIs suck doesn't move us anywhere. Its open source. please help
getting the APIs straight!

> Your attitude is getting tiring.

sorry about that... I think its not my attitude, I am not against solr
or anything but if you look at the differences we should try to
improve where the biggest gaps are visible instead of keeping quiet.

simon

Re: ElasticSearch

Posted by Peyman Faratin <pe...@robustlinks.com>.
Thank you all for the feedback and your point of views.

Peyman

Re: ElasticSearch

Posted by Peter Karich <pe...@yahoo.de>.
 Hi Lukáš, hi Mark

Re: ElasticSearch

Posted by Lukáš Vlček <lu...@gmail.com>.
Hi Peter,

On Fri, Nov 18, 2011 at 12:11 AM, Peter Karich <pe...@yahoo.de> wrote:

> > I don't think it's possible.
>
> Eh, of course its possible (if I would understand it I would do it. no,
> no, just joking ;))
>
> and yes, Solr its a shorter for some common use cases. I don't think
> that there is a 'best', but JSON can map 1:1 to lucene.
>
> The biggest problem with ES's syntax is that you can have super big
> queries where you miss the big picture or some closing bracket (probably
> </xml> would be better ;))
> => so this makes it sometimes harder to 'parse' for humans (for bigger
> queries) and more chatty
>
> The biggest problem with Solr's syntax is that you need to escape here
> and there and you have all the different brackets and dots (e.g. for
> ranges, local params, term filter, ...),
> which makes it hard to parse for *non*-humans and sub-intelligent people
> IMO. An advantage is that you can put the URL into the browser with
> Solr, which is only possible via additional software for ES (called
> Elasticsearch-head). although some parameters are available as URL
> parameters as well in ES

Not sure if I understood exactly what you meant here but do you know you
can always use "source" URL parameter to pass in any DSL query string in
ES? In other words, just take DSL query JSON and pass it as a URL parameter
(mostly handy for JSONP). And there are a lot of tools that can support you
here, not only ES-head, but also REST plugins for web browsers if you do
not mind writing the JSON query yourself (not to mention that in many
programming languages it is much easier to work with JSON then it is in
Java).

Re: ElasticSearch

Posted by Mark Miller <ma...@gmail.com>.
The XML query parser can map to Lucene one to one as well - hasn't seemed
to pick up enough steam to be included with Solr yet, but there has been
some commotion so it's likely to go in at some point. Not enough demand yet
I guess. https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/SOLR-839 XML Query Parser
Support

--
- Mark

Re: ElasticSearch

Posted by Peter Karich <pe...@yahoo.de>.

Re: ElasticSearch

Posted by Chris Hostetter <ho...@fucit.org>.
: > Maybe someone can post the equivalent query in ElasticSearch?
:
: I don't think it's possible.  Hoss threw in the kitchen sink into his
: "contrived' example.

exactly ... i have no idea if that type of query is possible with ES, but
it was not intended to be an example of a "typical" Solr query -- or even
a useful query -- it was a deliberately contrived example of a complex and
"deep" query structure that could be crafted using nested query params and
variable refs.

There's nothing stoping us from having an XML or JSON based query langauge
(patches welcome!), but my point was you can already express quite a bit
of complexity and nuance in Solr queries OOTB today.

-Hoss

Re: ElasticSearch

Posted by Yonik Seeley <yo...@lucidimagination.com>.

Re: ElasticSearch

Posted by Michael McCandless <lu...@mikemccandless.com>.
Maybe someone can post the equivalent query in ElasticSearch?  Then at
least we have a fair comparison of the two syntaxes, for this one
(complex) query at least...

Mike McCandless

http://blog.mikemccandless.com

On Thu, Nov 17, 2011 at 3:21 PM, Yonik Seeley

Re: ElasticSearch

Posted by Mark Harwood <ma...@yahoo.co.uk>.

> Other parameters such as filters, faceting, highlighting, sorting,
> etc, don't normally have any hierarchy.

I regularly mix filters and queries inside Boolean logic. Attempts to structure data (e.g. geocoding) don't always achieve 100% coverage and so for better recall you must also resort to unstructured text as well. You end up with something like this (pseudo code)...

  (text:Windsor OR geoRangeFilter:xxxxx) AND text:pizza

Re: ElasticSearch

Posted by Yonik Seeley <yo...@lucidimagination.com>.
On Thu, Nov 17, 2011 at 3:40 PM, Mark Harwood <ma...@yahoo.co.uk> wrote:
> JSON or XML can reflect more closely the hierarchy in the underlying Lucene query objects.

We normally use the Lucene QueryParser syntax itself for that (not
HTTP parameters).

Other parameters such as filters, faceting, highlighting, sorting,
etc, don't normally have any hierarchy.

I don't think JSON is always nicer either.  How would you write this
sort in JSON for example?
sort=price desc, score desc

A big plus to Solr's APIs is that it's relatively easy to type them in
to a browser to try them out.

As far as alternate query syntaxes (as opposed to alternate request
syntaxes), Solr has good support for that and
it would be simple to add in support for a JSON query syntax if
someone wrote one.
AFAIK, there's an issue open for adding the XML query syntax, but I'm
not sure if it's ever had much traction.

Re: ElasticSearch

Posted by Mark Harwood <ma...@yahoo.co.uk>.
I don't think of queries as inherently flat in the way HTTP request parameters are with their name=value pairings.

JSON or XML can reflect more closely the hierarchy in the underlying Lucene query objects.
For me using a "flat" query interface feels a bit like when you start off trying to manage your application config in ".properties" files and quickly hit the limitations of their expressiveness. It's fine for simple things but complexity soon overwhelms.

As well as hierarchical syntax it's worth considering the role a formal query schema has to play. The XMLQueryParser has a set of DTDs that currently serve to generate HTML documentation but also could conceivably be used by tooling to drive query construction. "Runnable documentation" always feels like a useful combo.

Cheers
Mark

Re: ElasticSearch

Posted by Yonik Seeley <yo...@lucidimagination.com>.

RE: ElasticSearch

Posted by Uwe Schindler <uw...@thetaphi.de>.
> Or if you're just unjustifiably bitching about Solr again

Sorry, this query is really ununderstandable. Those complex queries should
have a meaningful language, e.g. a JSON object structure (like
XMLQueryParser, but instead JSON). Those queries are never entered by users
only by machines, why not make them easy interpretable and produceable by
using structured objects and not ugly string-concatenations - leads to
security bugs like SQL injection.

> maybe I should take a
> stroll through Lucene land and bitch about incomprehensible code, APIs
that
> are increasingly hard to use, APIs that keep changing on a whim w/o regard
> existing users, etc.  Your attitude is getting tiring.

This only affects bulk postings. In my opinion, the trunk APIs are much
easier to understand than the broken 3.x API.

Uwe

Re: ElasticSearch

Posted by Petite Abeille <pe...@me.com>.
On Nov 17, 2011, at 9:03 PM, Yonik Seeley wrote:

>> dude, look at this query... its insane isn't it :)
>
> Sorry... what's the equivalent you'd like instead?
> Or if you're just unjustifiably bitching about Solr again, maybe I
> should take a stroll through Lucene land and bitch about
> incomprehensible code, APIs that are increasingly hard to use, APIs
> that keep changing on a whim w/o regard to existing users, etc.  Your
> attitude is getting tiring.

Ohhh... touchy, touchy :)

One the other hand, since this project has joined Apache, it really has gone downhill... ah!... take that Lucene! :P

Re: ElasticSearch

Posted by Yonik Seeley <yo...@lucidimagination.com>.

Re: ElasticSearch

Posted by Simon Willnauer <si...@googlemail.com>.