Posted to hdfs-user@hadoop.apache.org by Manjunath Ballur <mb...@microsoft.com> on 2016/03/08 10:27:24 UTC

What happens to a read operation when the file is moved to trash in HDFS?

Hi,
  I have a basic question regarding the HDFS file read.
  I want to know what happens, when the following steps are followed:

1.       Client opens the file for reading and starts reading the file.

2.       In the meantime, someone deletes the file and file moves to the trash folder

Will Step 1. succeed? I feel, since the client has already opened the file and file still exists in .trash, the client should continue to read the file.

Thanks,
Manju