Posted to dev@geode.apache.org by Dor Ben Dov <do...@amdocs.com> on 2016/06/21 13:49:21 UTC

Apache Geode incubation

Hi,
General speaking, what is the status of geode incubation in apache at the moment, when will it be switched to Apache TLP  ?

Dor

Re: Apache Geode incubation

Posted by William Markito <wm...@pivotal.io>.
Thanks a lot Niall and Roman for your thoughtful comments!  It's really
great to read all this and see where we are as a project!!

--

~/William

Re: Apache Geode incubation

Posted by Niall Pemberton <ni...@gmail.com>.
On Wed, Jun 22, 2016 at 7:12 PM, Roman Shaposhnik <ro...@shaposhnik.org>
wrote:

> [...]
> you
> > recruit, the better for this - but would be good to know how near or far
> > you are from meeting that. The one thing I would say is that alot of
> people
> > were put on the initial incubator proposal (70+ I believe) and I would
> > recommend reviewing that when you decide to go for graduation and
> removing
> > anyone who has not been active (easy enough to vote them back in later if
> > they start contributing) as I'm sure that will help with the balance as
> > well as reflecting reality.
>
> Niall, thanks a million for your extremely thoughtful reply. With my
> mentor hat on,
> I wholeheartedly agree with all the points you made. I really do think
> the community
> is on a trajectory to graduate relatively soon.

Yes we need to get this lot kicked out of the incubator and self-governing
as a TLP :)

Given that, now would be a perfect time to start bringing up concerns
> and suggestions
> along the lines of what you've mentioned in your last sentence.

Reflecting on this, I think the last sentence I wrote "...removing
anyone..." could come across a bit harsh and be misleading. On a TLP there
are both "committer" and "PMC member" roles[1]. Giving commit is solely
within the remit of the PMC and there is no need to take that away from
anyone. The board and the resolution to create a new TLP is only concerned
with PMC members and so I would suggest putting forward active people on
the proposed PMC when it comes to putting together a resolution to
graduate. Probably the best way to do this is (when the time comes) to ask
people who wants to be on the PMC and let that group self select - which I
would guess would pretty much be the active people.

Niall

[1] http://www.apache.org/foundation/how-it-works.html#roles

Re: Apache Geode incubation

Posted by Roman Shaposhnik <ro...@shaposhnik.org>.

Re: Apache Geode incubation

Posted by Niall Pemberton <ni...@gmail.com>.
On Tue, Jun 21, 2016 at 3:13 PM, Greg Chase <gc...@pivotal.io> wrote:

> The community is of course thinking about it. That is the point of the
> Incubator program.
>
> However, I imagine we will be asking about graduation after the release of
> Geode 1.0 GA.

Getting the mechanics of releases right and showing the IPMC that the
project understand how to do that is important. What I particularly liked
about this projects 2nd (M2) release was not just the +1 votes, but the
qualifications that accompanied those votes ("I checked the sigs", "I built
& ran the tests" etc) - I see that and it gives me confidence that this is
not a rubber stamping exercise, but the project members are exercising
their responsibilities with care & attention. In terms of meeting the
graduation criteria, geode will almost certainly have ticked that box in
terms of graduation with another release. Obviously users place great
importance and judge releases on labels such as "milestone", "beta" or "GA"
etc - but from an ASF perspective these are not relevant as "quality of
release" is judged on different criteria (licensing, process etc) and by
those criteria theres no difference between an M1 or a GA release. From
that perspective, my opinion is that geode is doing a great job and will
probably have nailed it with the upcoming M3 release.

From what I see, geode has got all its legal ducks in a row (code grants,

[1] http://incubator.apache.org/guides/graduation.html#community

RE: Apache Geode incubation

Posted by Dor Ben Dov <do...@amdocs.com>.
Thanks Greg.
Dor

The community is of course thinking about it. That is the point of the Incubator program.

However, I imagine we will be asking about graduation after the release of Geode 1.0 GA.

This email encrypted by tiny buttons & fat thumbs, beta voice recognition, and autocorrect on my iPhone.

Re: Apache Geode incubation

Posted by Greg Chase <gc...@pivotal.io>.