Posted to user@hbase.apache.org by Buğra Çakır <bu...@oranteknoloji.com> on 2015/04/30 15:35:27 UTC

HBase Filesystem Adapter

Hi,

I would like to use HBase with distributed filesystems other

than HDFS. Are there any plans for developing filesystem

adapters for these distributed filesystems ? (ceph, glusterfs, ...)

Best,

Bugra

Re: HBase Filesystem Adapter

Posted by Ted Yu <yu...@gmail.com>.
Please take a look at HBASE-13485

Cheers

Posted by Enis Söztutar <en...@apache.org>.
Here are my notes in raw form:
https://docs.google.com/document/d/14rpa1efWDMyMPZNqsDUD_skfVGtmUiOq7UkO9mEHHkw/edit?usp=sharing

Enis

Posted by Sean Busbey <bu...@cloudera.com>.

Posted by Enis Söztutar <en...@apache.org>.

Posted by Nick Dimiduk <nd...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Sean Busbey <bu...@cloudera.com>.

Posted by Sean Busbey <bu...@cloudera.com>.
On Thu, Apr 30, 2015 at 10:19 AM, Stack <st...@duboce.net> wrote:

> On Thu, Apr 30, 2015 at 6:35 AM, Buğra Çakır <
> bugra.cakir@oranteknoloji.com>
> wrote:
>
> > Hi,
> >

> > I would like to use HBase with distributed filesystems other
> >
> > than HDFS. Are there any plans for developing filesystem
> >
> > adapters for these distributed filesystems ? (ceph, glusterfs, ...)
> >

> What are you looking for in particular Bugra?
>
> There have been various attempts at running hbase over filesystems other
> than HDFS. HBase for the most part makes use of the Hadoop Filesystem
> Interface and has been reported out in the wild as running on other
> filesystems (S3?, MapR, and so on) with attendant compromises and benefit.

Gluster already has a Hadoop FileSystem implementation[1], but I haven't
seen it in practice.

EMC Isilon has a Hadoop FileSystem implementation as well that I have seen
HBase running on top of.

Essentially, all of these integrations happen outside of HBase. The
drawback is that there are places where we do checks for
DistributedFileSystem to make optimizations. However, those should all be
done in a way that falls back gracefully (not least because we need that in
order to support multiple HDFS versions). I'm not aware of us making
similar optimizations for other implementations, but I think we'd be fine
helping things along if a contributor showed up.

[1]:  https://forge.gluster.org/hadoop/pages/Home

--
Sean

Re: HBase Filesystem Adapter

Posted by Michael Segel <mi...@hotmail.com>.
If you’re not going to be using HDFS and Map/Reduce, I would suggest you choose a different noSQL persistent data store.

> On May 1, 2015, at 6:49 AM, Buğra Çakır <bu...@oranteknoloji.com> wrote:
>
> Hi,
>
> I would like to use HBase in areas when we don't need functionality given within full stack Hadoop ecosystem So that's why I like to integrate HBase with the other dfs and I'm planning to dig into this :)
>
> Bugra

Use at your own risk.
Michael Segel
michael_segel (AT) hotmail.com

Ynt: HBase Filesystem Adapter

Posted by Buğra Çakır <bu...@oranteknoloji.com>.
Hi,

I would like to use HBase in areas when we don't need functionality given within full stack Hadoop ecosystem So that's why I like to integrate HBase with the other dfs and I'm planning to dig into this :)

Bugra

Gönderildi: 30 Nisan 2015 Perşembe 18:19
Kime: Hbase-User
Konu: Re: HBase Filesystem Adapter

Posted by Stack <st...@duboce.net>.

Posted by Michael Segel <mi...@hotmail.com>.
I would look at a different solution than HBase.
HBase works well because its tied closely to the HDFS and Hadoop ecosystem.  Going outside of this… too many headaches and you’d be better off with a NoSQL engine like Cassandra or Riak, or something else.