Posted to legal-discuss@apache.org by Jason Davies <ja...@jasondavies.com> on 2009/08/10 14:21:23 UTC

Do all third-party dependencies require software grant agreements?

Hi again,

The first time I read http://incubator.apache.org/ip-clearance/index.html
  I got the impression that a SGA is required before *any* third-party
libraries can be imported into SVN.  However, if the library is simply
a dependency and is copied without changes simply to allow bundling,
is a SGA really required?

For example, I have just realised that we also bundle the jQuery
JavaScript library, which is released under the BSD (modified)
license.  Do we need to ask the author to sign a SGA too?  And what if
we cannot contact the author of such a library, does that mean we
cannot import it into SVN even if it was released under an ASL-
compatible license?

Jason Davies

www.jasondavies.com

Re: Do all third-party dependencies require software grant agreements?

Posted by Niclas Hedhman <ni...@hedhman.org>.
On Tue, Aug 11, 2009 at 4:13 PM, Jason Davies<ja...@jasondavies.com> wrote:

>> Yes, I think this is reasonable...
>
> Sorry, do you mean we *should* maintain a separate patch that is applied at
> build time, or are you just responding to the question about IP clearance?
>  I should really have split those into separate paragraphs :-)

Yes to both. *should* as I wouldn't call it a *must*, and "Yes, no
need for IP clearance"

IANAL
--
Niclas Hedhman, Software Developer

I  live here; http://tinyurl.com/2qq9er
I  work here; http://tinyurl.com/2ymelc
I relax here; http://tinyurl.com/2cgsug

Re: Do all third-party dependencies require software grant agreements?

Posted by Jason Davies <ja...@jasondavies.com>.
Hi Niclas,

Posted by Niclas Hedhman <ni...@hedhman.org>.
On Tue, Aug 11, 2009 at 4:05 PM, Jason Davies<ja...@jasondavies.com> wrote:

> As our intention is not to fork this dependency, I assume we do not require
> it to go through IP clearance?  If required we could easily maintain a patch
> in SVN that gets applied to a clean copy of the upstream code on building
> it.

Yes, I think this is reasonable...

Cheers

Posted by Jason Davies <ja...@jasondavies.com>.
Hi Robert,

Thanks for your reply.  I do have one more point that I need to
clarify though, please see below.

On 10 Aug 2009, at 13:46, Robert Burrell Donkin wrote:
> Jason Davies wrote:
>> Hi again,
>>
>> The first time I read
>> http://incubator.apache.org/ip-clearance/index.html I got the
>> impression
>> that a SGA is required before *any* third-party libraries can be
>> imported into SVN.  However, if the library is simply a dependency
>> and
>> is copied without changes simply to allow bundling, is a SGA really
>> required?
>>
>> For example, I have just realised that we also bundle the jQuery
>> JavaScript library, which is released under the BSD (modified)
>> license.
>> Do we need to ask the author to sign a SGA too?  And what if we
>> cannot
>> contact the author of such a library, does that mean we cannot
>> import it
>> into SVN even if it was released under an ASL-compatible license?
>
> IP clearance is for code bases which are being imported into apache
> for
> future development. it's not required for unmodified third party
> library
> dependencies. if you do distribution third party libraries, you do
> need
> to follow http://www.apache.org/legal/src-headers.html.

One of our dependencies has minor modifications [1] but the patches
have been submitted upstream and we expect they will be merged as all
the previous ones have been.  Actually, there is one patch that we
haven't submitted upstream yet but we will do so once we get this
release out of the door.

As our intention is not to fork this dependency, I assume we do not
require it to go through IP clearance?  If required we could easily
maintain a patch in SVN that gets applied to a clean copy of the
upstream code on building it.

[1]: http://markmail.org/message/yyh4tfstq5qv5ngi

Thanks for your help,

Posted by Robert Burrell Donkin <rd...@apache.org>.

Re: Do all third-party dependencies require software grant agreements?

Posted by Niclas Hedhman <ni...@hedhman.org>.
Adding to Robert's answer; the general recommendation is to depend on a
downloadable artifact from the origin project, and only if that is
impossible should one import the full expanded codebase into SVN..

-- Niclas