Posted to fop-users@xmlgraphics.apache.org by "Partridge, Michael" <mi...@ebenx.com> on 2003/04/09 16:24:32 UTC

pdf file creation

I'm running fop .20.5rc2 from the command line, and my xml file has over
600 <invoice> elements to process. This job runs very quickly, but after
that I need to create a seperate pdf for each <invoice>. To do that, I
create an xml file for each <invoice> and run fop on each seperately,
but this is very slow due to process overhead. Is there any way to avoid
this?

Mike

Re: pdf file creation

Posted by Jeremias Maerki <de...@greenmail.ch>.
No, not at the moment I'm afraid. This would probably involve adding a
proprietary attribute on page-sequence that tells the PDF renderer to
start a new PDF file. It may be easier to split the big PDF into smaller
ones using some PDF post-processing tool. If your invoices have variable
page counts you can use Driver.getFormattingResults() to obtain the
number of pages for each page-sequence processed.

You say it's very slow. You don't have to restart the JVM for each FOP
run, do you?

I hope this helps.

On 09.04.2003 16:24:32 Partridge, Michael wrote:
> I'm running fop .20.5rc2 from the command line, and my xml file has over
> 600 <invoice> elements to process. This job runs very quickly, but after
> that I need to create a seperate pdf for each <invoice>. To do that, I
> create an xml file for each <invoice> and run fop on each seperately,
> but this is very slow due to process overhead. Is there any way to avoid
> this?

Jeremias Maerki