Posted to dev@netbeans.apache.org by Jaroslav Tulach <ja...@gmail.com> on 2020/08/25 05:27:02 UTC

Re: Speed of Maven build

> And it's Apache Maven, over the corner at https://maven.apache.org/ so
> I suppose that community would be happy to get such contributions.
>
> -Bertrand

You are right, Bertrand. Why not ask!

Hello Maven guys,
we had a discussion on the NetBeans mailing list recently and here is a
summary:
* Apache NetBeans IDE is delegating most of its work directly to Maven
* Users however complain that the speed isn't great
* One of the ideas was to launch a "zombie" instance of Maven in advance
* then actions like build, exec or test would be faster

Have you thought about something like this already? Any advices?

Best regards.
Jaroslav Tulach
NetBeans Platform Architect

ne 23. 8. 2020 v 9:06 odesílatel Jaroslav Tulach <ja...@gmail.com>

Re: Speed of Maven build

Posted by Jaroslav Tulach <ja...@gmail.com>.
Dne úterý 25. srpna 2020 13:26:33 CEST, Jeff Jensen napsal(a):
> In case this helps, Jason Dillon has a "Maven Shell" that does what you
> seek for CLI - launches a Maven instance and runs interactive commands with
> it, saving the startup time.
> https://github.com/jdillon/mvnsh

Thanks Jeff. The idea seems fine. Too bad the project doesn't even build:
https://github.com/jdillon/mvnsh/issues/38

-jt

Re: Speed of Maven build

Posted by Jaroslav Tulach <ja...@gmail.com>.

Re: Speed of Maven build

Posted by Michael Bien <mb...@gmail.com>.
this would be an interesting use case for a native image, but the
modular nature of maven is at the same time also the worst case scenario
for native images :)

best regards,
-michael

Re: Speed of Maven build

Posted by Jaroslav Tulach <ja...@gmail.com>.
Thanks Jesse, Tim.

Re: Speed of Maven build

Posted by Tim Boudreau <ni...@gmail.com>.

http://timboudreau.com

Re: Speed of Maven build

Posted by Jesse Glick <ty...@gmail.com>.

Re: Speed of Maven build

Posted by Martin Kanters <ma...@apache.org>.
Hi Jaroslav, nice analysis. In the maven-integration-testing repository [1]
Maven can be started fully independently or embedded in the same JDK. The
latter is activated with the Maven profile "embedded".
This also gives a huge performance boost, running tests in tenths of a
second instead of seconds.

Martin

[1] https://github.com/apache/maven-integration-testing/

Re: Speed of Maven build

Posted by Davide Grandi <da...@email.it>.
I think that your conclusions are reasonable.
I've built your test project, that confirms the startup delay hypothesis.

However performances must be evaluated on specific test cases :
building a 10 *.java program is different from building CXF (maven) or
derby (ant).

Maybe that also the goals are different :
Maven stress repeatability of builds, even offering that some plugin
run in separate java process.
In some cases I run mvn asking for a new local repository, re-downloading
all plugins and dependencies.

So ... if the final goal is to keep nb "build system agnostic" I
think that the focus is in the interfaces towards the build systems
(running mvn "in process" like ant could be an idea - for small projects)
avoiding buffer locking and display delay.

assessing expected result for different project sizes (small 10 files -
medium 100
- big CXF) will give useful hints.

Thank-you & best regards,

     Davide

--
Ing. Davide Grandi
email    : davide.grandi@email.it

Re: Speed of Maven build

Posted by Jaroslav Tulach <ja...@gmail.com>.

Re: Speed of Maven build

Posted by Jaroslav Tulach <ja...@gmail.com>.

Re: Speed of Maven build

Posted by Davide Grandi <da...@email.it>.
Sorry to be late, but

Re: Speed of Maven build

Posted by Falko Modler <f....@gmx.net>.
Maybe slightly offtopic but if you have (many) submodules, you might
want to consider automatic incremental builds (based on SCM changes)
with https://github.com/vackosar/gitflow-incremental-builder

Don't be scared by the name. You do not actually need a gitflow branch
layout.

Disclaimer: I am maintaining gitflow-incremental-builder.

Cheers,

Falko

PS: IIRC, a few months ago someone on this mailing list came up with an
idea to "cache" build results with Maven. Not sure what happened to that
idea.

Re: Speed of Maven build

Posted by Manfred Moser <ma...@simpligility.com>.

Mickael Istria wrote on 2020-08-25 14:17 (GMT -07:00):

> On Tuesday, August 25, 2020, Manfred Moser <ma...@simpligility.com> wrote:
>> And the VS code integration from Red Hat might also do something along
> those lines.
>
> It embeds and uses m2eclipse.

Haha.. thanks for confirming. I thought that to be the case but did not want to say it explicitly since I was only 80 or so percent sure..

manfred

Re: Speed of Maven build

Posted by Manfred Moser <ma...@simpligility.com>.

Re: Speed of Maven build

Posted by Mickael Istria <mi...@redhat.com>.

Eclipse IDE <https://www.eclipse.org/downloads/eclipse-packages/>
developer, for Red Hat Developers <https://developers.redhat.com/>

Re: Speed of Maven build

Posted by Mickael Istria <mi...@redhat.com>.

Re: Speed of Maven build

Posted by Manfred Moser <ma...@simpligility.com>.

Re: Speed of Maven build

Posted by Manfred Moser <ma...@simpligility.com>.

Re: Speed of Maven build

Posted by John Patrick <nh...@gmail.com>.

Re: Speed of Maven build

Posted by Will Hartung <wi...@gmail.com>.
On Tue, Aug 25, 2020 at 4:37 AM Jeff Jensen <
jeffjensen@upstairstechnology.com> wrote:

> In case this helps, Jason Dillon has a "Maven Shell" that does what you
> seek for CLI - launches a Maven instance and runs interactive commands with
> it, saving the startup time.
> https://github.com/jdillon/mvnsh
>
> Is this really where the runtime for Maven goes? I always felt it was
(which can be mitigated with the -o flag).

Re: Speed of Maven build

Posted by Will Hartung <wi...@gmail.com>.

Re: Speed of Maven build

Posted by John Patrick <nh...@gmail.com>.