Posted to general@incubator.apache.org by Jean-Baptiste Onofré <jb...@nanthrax.net> on 2008/12/17 22:01:40 UTC

[PROPOSAL] Apache Scrum

Hi,

I would like to introduce my Apache Scrum proposal.

Abstract
   Apache Scrum is a complete environment manager and deployer including JEE applications
   and resources.
   It's a perfect complement to continuous integration by adding continuous deployment.
   The whole software factory chain is cover and the JEE administrator managed all environments
   is a secure and safe way, whatever the underlying application server is.

Proposal
   Apache Scrum provides two components :
   - Apache Scrum agent are installed localy on the application server server
   - Apache Scrum console controls and manages agents, allowing the JEE administrator to update
     all environments from a central web tool.

Background
   Currently, Apache Scrum is named BuildProcess AutoDeploy (http://buildprocess.sourceforge.net).
   The development has begun 4 years ago and several release have been already provided.
   AutoDeploy is used in several companies like Fimasys (http://www.fimasys.com), Vodacom South Africa
   (http://www.vodacom.com), Mayo Clinic USA (http://www.mayocinic.com), etc.

Rationale
   The JEE environments administration is heavy cost task with a high level on human action. It suffers :
   - a different set of script or actions dependning of the application server used (JBoss, Websphere, Weblogic, etc)
   - a high level of risk due to human action (for exemple, an administrator can forget to deploy a JDBC datasource,
     or forget to change an application specific configuration file)
   - the upgrade process can be long (depending of the applications complexity)
   - most of resources are stored localy to the application server, not in a central repository
   Apache Scrum securise the environment deployment and cover the whole JEE scope (EAR/WAR archives, JDBC datasources,
   JMS queues, JMS topics, classloader policy, etc) in a uniq way whatever the underlying application server (it heavely
   uses JMX to interact with compatible middlewares).

Initial Goals
   When I have begun AutoDeploy, my first goal was to provide several application server JMX plugins. But quickly, I have
   seen that multi-application servers support was only a small part of the JEE administration need.
   That's why I have extended AutoDeploy to provide agents and a central console. Using the console, several JEE administrators
   can use a central tools to manage all environments in a collaborative and secure way.

Current Status
   Currently, AutoDeploy provides two branches :
   - the 0.5.x branch (with the 0.5.4 lastest release) is the current stable branche
   - the 0.6.x branch is target to become Apache Scrum

Community
   Currently the project contains two contributors and around 50 users.
   Thanks to the popularity of ASF, the purpose is increase the number of contributors to improve the functionnality cover
   of Apache Scrum.

Core Developers
   AutoDeploy/Apache Scrum was founded by Jean-Baptiste Onofré in 2004. Mike Duffy, Vodacom JEE architect, contributes since
   2005. Several contributors have provided patches on the project.

Open Source
   Since the beginning, AutoDeploy was a Open Source project using GPL license.
   Apache Scrum will use the Apache 2 license.

Relationships with Other Apache Products
   AutoDeploy/Apache Scrum heavely uses Apache products such as :
   - lot of jakarta commons (espcailly VFS)
   - maven/continuum for build/continuous integration
   - xerces/xalan for XML manipulation
   - etc ...

I hope that Apache Scrum provide a kind of interest to you :) and really hope that the ASF approve this project.
I think that the core product is efficient due to the number of users on the current stable version. Joining ASF will increase
the visibility of Scrum and increase the number of contributors, for sure.

If you have need more informations, or if you have some questions, don't hesitate to contact me.

Thanks in advance :)
Regards
JB

[1] BuildProcess AutoDeploy (Apache Scrum) :
   http://buildprocess.sourceforge.net
--
Jean-Baptiste Onofré (Nanthrax)
BuildProcess/AutoDeploy Project Leader

Re: [PROPOSAL] Apache Scrum

Posted by Jean-Baptiste Onofré <jb...@nanthrax.net>.
Yes, "small" contributors have given the approval to go to Apache 2 license.

Concerning the main contributors, Mike and myself, we really want to participate on the ASF,
so yes, there is no problem to use the Apache 2 license :)

Thanks,
Regards

Re: [PROPOSAL] Apache Scrum

Posted by Niclas Hedhman <ni...@hedhman.org>.

Re: [PROPOSAL] Apache Scrum

Posted by Andrus Adamchik <an...@objectstyle.org>.
Hi JB,

A very interesting problem you are addressing with AutoDeploy. JEE
deployment tools that I've seen to date don't scale too well, so this
area can use lots of improvement. I've developed a similar system for
a big site of one of our customers, with the main goal to manage a mid-
size cluster (10-100 app server nodes) running Jetty. The main idea is
the same - write an XML descriptor to describe the cluster layout and
app destinations, and then write the tools around that descriptor
(deployment, monitoring and what not). But of course the tools is
where YMMV, and I am happy to see someone else building such tools :-)

I downloaded AutoDeploy-0.5.3 (BTW, noticed that the jar files are all
duplicated under lib/ and target/ increasing the size of the download
to 140MB. Poking around the code now. In the meantime a few questions
- do you have a demo system somewhere that would allow to play with
the UI without deploying the app? Also are there any diagrams on the
deployment flow implemented in AutoDeploy?

Thanks,
Andrus

Re: [PROPOSAL] Apache Scrum

Posted by Jean-Baptiste Onofré <jb...@nanthrax.net>.
Thanks for your interest in the project :)

Regards
JB

Re: [PROPOSAL] Apache Scrum

Posted by Jim Jagielski <ji...@jaguNET.com>.

Re: [PROPOSAL] Apache Scrum

Posted by Yoav Shapira <yo...@apache.org>.
On Wed, Dec 17, 2008 at 4:07 PM, Jean-Baptiste Onofré <jb...@nanthrax.net> wrote:
> Currently the project is named AutoDeploy which is a little bit confusing too.
> Apache Scrum is just a name proposition, I'm open to all other name :)

Pizzazz

RoboDeployer

Dunnilator

Just some suggestions ;)

Yoav

Re: [PROPOSAL] Apache Scrum

Posted by Jean-Baptiste Onofré <jb...@nanthrax.net>.
Hi Yoav,

That's right.

Re: [PROPOSAL] Apache Scrum

Posted by Yoav Shapira <yo...@apache.org>.

Re: [PROPOSAL] Apache Scrum

Posted by Jean-Baptiste Onofré <jb...@nanthrax.net>.
Hi Noel,

the agent can be installed by hand or remotly from the console using pure java (like a webstart).

Currently AutoDeploy is used (in production) on :
- Linux
- Solaris
- AIX
- Windows

As it's in pure Java, only a JVM is required.

Thanks for the interest in the project,
Regards

Re: [PROPOSAL] Apache Scrum

Posted by Darren Hague <dh...@fortybeans.com>.
Borrowing terminology from the world of SAP, how about Apache Transport
as a name?

- Darren

Re: [PROPOSAL] Apache Scrum

Posted by David Pollak <fe...@gmail.com>.
On Wed, Dec 17, 2008 at 9:47 PM, Jean-Baptiste Onofré <jb...@nanthrax.net>wrote:

> Pizzazz (Yoav's proposition) and DeployX looks nice :)
>
> What do you think of Apache Prop ?

My 2 cents... have you seen Puppet?  http://reductivelabs.com/trac/puppet

It's a Ruby-land tool that does many of the same things that your project
does.  It's being used at some notable and large scale Rails powered sites
with success.  Borrowing some of Puppet's excellent ideas or even working
with the Puppet folks (Luke Kanies is a very cool guy) might lead to an even
better tool.

Thanks,

David

Collaborative Task Management http://much4.us