Posted to users@openoffice.apache.org by Ariel Constenla-Haile <ar...@apache.org> on 2012/06/01 19:16:31 UTC

Re: Is this working?

Hi Sylvia,

On Wed, May 30, 2012 at 09:27:13PM -0300, Sylvia Sánchez wrote:

> Hello!  I'm suscribed to the list but my mails are rejected, so I
> want to know: Is this working?  Please, answer to see if the mail go
> through the list or not.

yes, it is working! Welcome to Apache OpenOffice :D

> Thanks!
>
> --
> /Con cariño desde Fedora 17/

Oh I didn't have time to update my Fedora 16... I'll try on the weekend.

Regards
--
Ariel Constenla-Haile
La Plata, Argentina

Re: Is this working?

Posted by Scooter C <sc...@scootersdesk.com>.
Good Afternoon Sylvia & Bonnie,

Welcome to the group.

Take Care.
Scooter
College Park, MD USA

Re: Is this working?

Posted by Bonnie Hendricks <bo...@gmail.com>.
Thanks so much, Frank.

Re: Is this working?

Posted by Rory O'Farrell <of...@iol.ie>.
On Fri, 1 Jun 2012 11:29:59 -0700

Re: Is this working?

Posted by Bonnie Hendricks <bo...@gmail.com>.
Yew, it says right at amazon that it converts many formats, including MS
Word. I just don't know if it can open Open Office files. I'll write and
ask them

Re: Is this working?

Posted by Bonnie Hendricks <bo...@gmail.com>.
No, it says on their site that it especially likes MS Word or any .txt file.
I just wanted to know if anyone was uploading material with open Office.
I'll ask them ... -

Whatever happened to that nice Word Perfect I wrote my horse encyclopedia
with?

Re: Is this working?

Posted by Sylvia Sánchez <Ma...@yahoo.com.ar>.

Re: Is this working?

Posted by James Knott <ja...@rogers.com>.
Bonnie Hendricks wrote:
> LOL! Thanks!! I'm just into writing books . Does anyone there know if the
> Kindle "thing" at amazon can read files from Open Office? I'm not about to
> buy Word from Microsoft again ... After installing several times due to
> hard drive crashes and trying to put it on a new computer ... I was
> informed I had used up my opportunities to install. I paid $149 for that
> CD!! Shall we talk about greed?

I don't know about for the Kindle, but there's a program called Calibre
that can be used to generate ebooks from OO files.  I haven't used it
though.

Re: AOO, pdf and kindle (was: Re: Is this working?)

Posted by Rory O'Farrell <of...@iol.ie>.
On Thu, 07 Jun 2012 17:53:00 +0100
Mike Scott <mi...@scottsonline.org.uk> wrote:

> On 01/06/12 19:29, Bonnie Hendricks wrote:
> > LOL! Thanks!! I'm just into writing books . Does anyone there know if the
> > Kindle "thing" at amazon can read files from Open Office? I'm not about to
> > buy Word from Microsoft again ... After installing several times due to
> > hard drive crashes and trying to put it on a new computer ... I was
> > informed I had used up my opportunities to install. I paid $149 for that
> > CD!! Shall we talk about greed?
>
> If it will read a pdf, you can always export as pdf (or use a
> pseudo-printer, which has some advantage) from within AOO.
>
> My own reservation is that AIUI you have to email everything to Amazon
> for downloading to your kindle, which (a) is stoopid on sundry counts,
> and (b) gives them access to everything you read. OT I know, but while
> we're here, can anyone confirm/deny this please?
>

> (PS. it's a good idea not to hijack a thread; it's also good to set the
> subject line appropriately for the content!)
>
> --
> Mike Scott
> Harlow, Essex, England

Google for and look at Calibre.  It will readily convert OpenOffice .odt files to almost any ebook format and alow one to download direct to the Kindle by USB.  No need to go near Amazon or anybody else.

--
Rory O'Farrell <of...@iol.ie>

Re: (OT) Re: AOO, pdf and kindle

Posted by Sylvia Sánchez <Ma...@yahoo.com.ar>.
Mike, is not his reading material, is his "writing" material.  He is a
book writer.

:-)
/Con cariño desde Fedora 17/

Re: (OT) Re: AOO, pdf and kindle

Posted by Herman H Dalman <da...@hccnet.nl>.
May be this will help:

http://packratstudios.com/index.php/2008/05/04/how-to-hack-your-amazon-kindle-to-read-all-your-ebooks-and-documents-including-pdf-doc-xls-chm-lit-etc/

Herman H Dalman
The Netherlands

Re: (OT) Re: AOO, pdf and kindle

Posted by Mike Scott <mi...@scottsonline.org.uk>.

Re: (OT) Re: AOO, pdf and kindle

Posted by Bonnie Hendricks <bo...@gmail.com>.
I think you just don't understand how Kindle works ... Not just anyone can
upload or access whatever is there.

(OT) Re: AOO, pdf and kindle

Posted by Mike Scott <mi...@scottsonline.org.uk>.

Posted by Bonnie Hendricks <bo...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Mike Scott <mi...@scottsonline.org.uk>.

Re: Is this working?

Posted by Bonnie Hendricks <bo...@gmail.com>.

Re: Is this working?

Posted by Dan Lewis <el...@gmail.com>.

Re: Is this working?

Posted by Bonnie Hendricks <bo...@gmail.com>.

Re: Is this working?

Posted by Ariel Constenla-Haile <ar...@apache.org>.
Hi Don,

Re: Is this working?

Posted by Dan Lewis <el...@gmail.com>.
Ariel Constenla-Haile wrote:
> Hi Sylvia,
>
> On Wed, May 30, 2012 at 09:27:13PM -0300, Sylvia Sánchez wrote:
>> Hello!  I'm suscribed to the list but my mails are rejected, so I
>> want to know: Is this working?  Please, answer to see if the mail go
>> through the list or not.
> yes, it is working! Welcome to Apache OpenOffice :D
>

>> Thanks!
>>
>> --
>> /Con cariño desde Fedora 17/
> Oh I didn't have time to update my Fedora 16... I'll try on the weekend.
>

> Regards
      Considering how long it took for me to receive your
process. The first step is to send an email to
ooo-users-subscribe@incubator.apache.org. (You probably
already did this.) The mailing list then sends you an email
to verify that you want to subscribe. The second step is to
reply to that email. Open that email, click the Reply
button, and send that email. (This is the step that you
might not have done yet.

--Dan

Re: Is this working?

Posted by Sylvia Sánchez <Ma...@yahoo.com.ar>.