Posted to user@openmeetings.apache.org by "seba.wagner@gmail.com" <se...@gmail.com> on 2021/01/18 22:12:26 UTC

OpenMeetings Performance Testing results with 100 concurrent users

We did complete some performance testing:
~ 100 concurrent users
~ 10 conference rooms, 4 users in each, everyone has audio/video turned on
~ 2 webinar rooms, 26 users each, 1 presenter has audio/video turned on

Results can be seen here:
https://om-hosting.com/medium-server-performance-test-results/

Generally the tests look pretty good. And it should be possible to add more
hardware and do bigger tests.
We plan to do a new round of tests with bigger specs and more users soon.

However: Above tests are more like linear scaling, rather than entering all
users at same time:
 - There are some issues if you have a lot of users entering the conference
room at the same moment/second. Like a surge of 10-20 users that all enter
at the same time the conference room.
 - The problem manifests that sometimes a user won't have his audio/video
sharing. You can see some screenshots where you have only 3 audio/video
pods, instead of 4. That is exactly the problem. There are some race
conditions. If you have more people entering at the same time, the problem
gets bigger and more audio/video pods won't show up
 - The problem is not only with people within the same room, but also
affects other rooms (lets say having 2 conference room, and all users of
both rooms enter within the same 5 seconds the conference room
 - There isn't any exception or client side Javascript error. But the
audio/video just doesn't pop up.

This is a common issue and also very hard to test for. But something maybe
to look into more.
It is a relatively unrealistic test, but obviously with the number of users
increasing, the likelihood of having multiple users entering a conference
room at the same time increases.

I think it is still a good result in terms of next steps and bigger servers.

Thanks,
Seb

Sebastian Wagner
Director Arrakeen Solutions, OM-Hosting.com
http://arrakeen-solutions.co.nz/
https://om-hosting.com - Cloud & Server Hosting for HTML5
Video-Conferencing OpenMeetings
<https://www.youracclaim.com/badges/da4e8828-743d-4968-af6f-49033f10d60a/public_url>
<https://www.youracclaim.com/badges/b7e709c6-aa87-4b02-9faf-099038475e36/public_url>

Re: OpenMeetings Performance Testing results with 100 concurrent users

Posted by Maxim Solodovnik <so...@gmail.com>.
On Tue, 19 Jan 2021 at 05:12, seba.wagner@gmail.com <se...@gmail.com>
wrote:

> We did complete some performance testing:
> ~ 100 concurrent users
> ~ 10 conference rooms, 4 users in each, everyone has audio/video turned on
> ~ 2 webinar rooms, 26 users each, 1 presenter has audio/video turned on

Thanks for sharing Sebastian!

> Results can be seen here:
> https://om-hosting.com/medium-server-performance-test-results/
>
> Generally the tests look pretty good. And it should be possible to add
> more hardware and do bigger tests.
> We plan to do a new round of tests with bigger specs and more users soon.
>
> However: Above tests are more like linear scaling, rather than entering
> all users at same time:
>  - There are some issues if you have a lot of users entering the
> conference room at the same moment/second. Like a surge of 10-20 users that
> all enter at the same time the conference room.
>  - The problem manifests that sometimes a user won't have his audio/video
> sharing. You can see some screenshots where you have only 3 audio/video
> pods, instead of 4. That is exactly the problem. There are some race
> conditions. If you have more people entering at the same time, the problem
> gets bigger and more audio/video pods won't show up
>  - The problem is not only with people within the same room, but also
> affects other rooms (lets say having 2 conference room, and all users of
> both rooms enter within the same 5 seconds the conference room
>  - There isn't any exception or client side Javascript error. But the
> audio/video just doesn't pop up.

this is something I would love to have steps to reproduce ... :))

--
Best regards,
Maxim

Re: OpenMeetings Performance Testing results with 100 concurrent users

Posted by jox joe <jo...@gmail.com>.
Hello Sebastion,
thank you for the good news.
Yes, you are right. Testing the real-time/interactive communication moduls
is
very expensive/time consuming.
The real-time function does not come for free which
can mean that the available hardware and software resources
are not sufficient. The environment of such an application
is rather complicated not to mention the fact that not all components
are developed by one team (OM server, Kurento media server, database
server, CoTurn, browsers).
Still OM has improved a lot in the last couple of years and will improve in
the future.
Jox

seba.wagner@gmail.com <se...@gmail.com> ezt írta (időpont: 2021. jan.
18., H, 22:12):