Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by Justin French <ju...@indent.com.au> on 2003/07/05 06:34:37 UTC

[users@httpd] Apache under OSX -- directory listings denied

Hi all,

I'd appreciate a little help with permissions and that sort of stuff...

I have a working installation of Apache, with the docroot of:
DocumentRoot "/Users/justinfrench/Documents/htdocs/"

When enter the url of a file in the browser
(http://<domain>/dir/file.xxx), everything is fine, but when I enter
just a directory (http://<domain>/somedir/), i get the following error:

"Forbidden
You don't have permission to access /somedir/ on this server."

1. apache is currently running as User justinfrench, Group admin.

2. i've made sure all files within the docroot are owned by me:
chmod -R justinfrench:admin htdocs

3. even though it's a dumb move, I've even chmod -R 777 htdocs

But I still cannot get the default directory listing on a url like
http://<domain>/somedir/

Has any one got some ideas?

TIA
Justin French

Re: [users@httpd] Apache under OSX -- directory listings denied

Posted by Justin French <ju...@indent.com.au>.
Bingo!

Thanks all.

Justin

Posted by Mac Serve <ma...@ns.sympatico.ca>.

Posted by Justin French <ju...@indent.com.au>.
Hi,

Posted by BAO RuiXian <ru...@pp.inet.fi>.

Justin French wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I'd appreciate a little help with permissions and that sort of stuff...
>
> I have a working installation of Apache, with the docroot of:
> DocumentRoot "/Users/justinfrench/Documents/htdocs/"
>
> When enter the url of a file in the browser
> (http://<domain>/dir/file.xxx), everything is fine, but when I enter
> just a directory (http://<domain>/somedir/), i get the following error:
>
> "Forbidden
> You don't have permission to access /somedir/ on this server."

Please find the Options directive in your http.conf and add "+Indexes"
to it, or change "-Indexes" to "+Indexes" if the former exists.

Best

Bao

Posted by Justin French <ju...@indent.com.au>.
Apache isn't installed there, I just moved the docroot away from
/Library/WebServer/Documents because:

a) I want back-ups to be simple... grab the entire
/Users/justinfrench/Documents/ folder and burn to CD/DVD or copy to
another drive

b) I wanted the htdocs within my home dir, to make file sharing easier

I'm keen to hear reasons why not, hear alternatives etc, and can EASILY
change it back, but I can't see how that becomes the problem...

TIA Justin