Posted to dev@ant.apache.org by Nicola Ken Barozzi <ni...@apache.org> on 2005/05/11 14:08:01 UTC

Re: [patch] FTP.java - adding support for new features in commons-net 1.4.0 and performance improvement

Stefan Bodewig wrote:
> On Wed, 11 May 2005, Jose Alberto Fernandez
> <ja...@cellectivity.com> wrote:
>
>>I do not think we can continue maintaining tasks for every project
>>in the world just because they do not want to depend on ANT.

Likewise, you cannot ask for every project to keep an Ant task just
because Ant does not want to depend on them ;-)

> Calm down.  We are talking about an existing Ant task that gets used a
> lot.  And so far nobody has asked the commons-net people whether
> they'd want to maintain it.
>
> If you ask me, Ant is the owner of the <ftp> task and commons-net
> "only" a support library.  The javacc, antlr or weblogic tasks (for
> example) are completely different beasts IMHO.

Yes.

Ant tasks - like any piece of code really - should simply reside where
people care about them, fix bugs and enhance them. IMHO this usually
happens in Ant if the task is generic enough to be used by most
committers, and ftp seems to be the case.

             - verba volant, scripta manent -