Posted to dev@commons.apache.org by Dave Brosius <db...@mebigfatguy.com> on 2017/07/26 12:23:04 UTC

Modern dependencies among commons

Hi Folks,

     I'd like to see all of our common components uptake the 'latest'
versions of other commons components, to encourage their adoption. For
instance, commons-beanutils still uses commons-collections 3, and so
when i want to use commons-collections4 myself, i now have to have both
in the classpath. While there are no conflicts, it's just messy. People
auto-import the wrong version of collections classes into our code base,
for instance. If we could get updates to at least the right (major)
version of jars that would be great.

--dave

Re: Modern dependencies among commons

Posted by Jörg Schaible <jo...@bpm-inspire.com>.
Hi Dave,

Dave Brosius wrote:

> Hi Folks,
>

>      I'd like to see all of our common components uptake the 'latest'
> versions of other commons components, to encourage their adoption. For
> instance, commons-beanutils still uses commons-collections 3, and so
> when i want to use commons-collections4 myself, i now have to have both
> in the classpath. While there are no conflicts, it's just messy. People
> auto-import the wrong version of collections classes into our code base,
> for instance. If we could get updates to at least the right (major)
> version of jars that would be great.

unfortunately this is not always possible without creating a new major
version (i.e. new package name) for the component itself. It will work if
the types from the dependency are used internally only.

E.g. commons-configuration 1.x used an exception in its API that was from
commons-lang 2.x, therefore you could not upgrade to latest commons-lang
without breaking common-configuration's API too.

Cheers,
Jörg

Re: Modern dependencies among commons

Posted by Gary Gregory <ga...@gmail.com>.
On Thu, Jul 27, 2017 at 1:44 PM, Dave Brosius <db...@mebigfatguy.com>
wrote:

> I have pushed a first patch to move in this direction with
> commons-beanutils
>
> https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/BEANUTILS-500
>

> It is breaking in a couple deprecated methods, thus, targetted at a 2.0.
> given that, there are probably other things we'd want to do.

How about this:

- Create a 1.9.x branch based on trunk
- Set trunk to 2.0 and
-- Update maven coords
-- Update pacakage
-- Apply patch

Gary

Posted by Dave Brosius <db...@mebigfatguy.com>.

Posted by Jochen Wiedmann <jo...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Jörg Schaible <jo...@bpm-inspire.com>.
Claude Warren wrote:

> Perhaps change dependency so that it specifies minimum but leaves maximum
> open. (unless there is an upper limit)

commons-lang and commons-lang3 are no replacements, they are different
artifacts. Switching from old to new requires changes in code.

- Jörg

Re: Modern dependencies among commons

Posted by Claude Warren <cl...@xenei.com>.

<http://like-like.xenei.com>

Re: Modern dependencies among commons

Posted by Gary Gregory <ga...@gmail.com>.
Go for it! :-)

Posted by Gilles <gi...@harfang.homelinux.org>.
On Wed, 26 Jul 2017 08:23:04 -0400, Dave Brosius wrote:
> Hi Folks,
>

>     I'd like to see all of our common components uptake the 'latest'
> versions of other commons components, to encourage their adoption.

+1

The alternative is
  * a block in the way to get more contributors,
  * more chances to leave bugs in the recent releases,
  * less recognition of those who are the current contributors.

> [...]

Gilles