Posted to dev@forrest.apache.org by Nicola Ken Barozzi <ni...@apache.org> on 2002/10/29 15:21:29 UTC

[RT] Move part of Alexandria code to Forrest?

Jakarta Alexandria has zero active developers, since I basically stopped
trying to reanimate it.

Forrest in part takes up what Alexandria wanted to be, but Alexandria is
also about cross-project javadocs and stuff, that Forrest isn't (yet?).

I'm talking in detail about the javasrc source code that has been
donated to Apache and that I committed in the Alexandria CVS.

It shows source code in nice html, all with links.
An example here: http://jakarta.apache.org/poi/javadocs/javasrc/
It's better on memory than Javadoc since it uses two passes instead of
putting all in memory.

You can find the source with a functioning build.xml in the alexandria
CVS in the javasrc dir.

What do you think, should this code migrate to Forrest, and Alexandria
codebase migrate totally into the Gump one?

This is just my neuron firing, I really want to understand what might be
the best thing, what do you think?

I thought it was better to keep Alexandria separate, but I tried and
failed already; there is no community there, and the code remains still.

I sent a mail to alexandria dev on this with no reply, so I'm seeking
your help guys.

Ideas?

               - verba volant, scripta manent -

             - verba volant, scripta manent -

Re: [RT] Move part of Alexandria code to Forrest?

Posted by Steven Noels <st...@outerthought.org>.
dion@multitask.com.au wrote:

> How about placing it in Jakarta Commons. That way Maven could leverage it
> as well?

+1

</Steven>

Re: [RT] Move part of Alexandria code to Forrest?

Posted by Nicola Ken Barozzi <ni...@apache.org>.
About javasrc in Alexandria...

dion@multitask.com.au wrote:
> How about placing it in Jakarta Commons. That way Maven could leverage it
> as well?

There is no need why Maven cannot use the version that is now in
Alexandria. It's public CVS, and builds easily and on its own with Ant.

I have already notified the Maven list that I was going to put it in
Alexandria, and I'd love to see it also as a Maven plugin, so it can be
done already now.

It was put in Alexandria because it was Alexandria's goal, but now it
should move.

Some Alexandria developers asked to place Alexanria (not Gump) in the
incubator, so I'll ask there too.

It will go in incubator or commons, but not in Forrest; in the meantime
please don't hesitate to use if from the Alexandria codebase.

Thanks all for the feedback.

Posted by di...@multitask.com.au.
--
dIon Gillard, Multitask Consulting