Posted to dev@directory.apache.org by Emmanuel Lecharny <el...@apache.org> on 2007/05/05 14:44:33 UTC

Felix is now a TLP

Hi,

I know that the subject seems to be totally unrelated to ADS? but as a
matter of fact, we have a dependency on this project, for ADS to be
OSGi-able.

It leads to a problem for us as felix has exited the incubator
yesturday, and for those who have tried to svn up their current trunks,
it generates a failure.

It has now been fixed.

Now, we have discussed a lot about moving to OSGi, and it might be the
perfect timing to think again about moving to it.

wdyt ?

Emmanuel

Re: Felix is now a TLP

Posted by Alex Karasulu <ak...@apache.org>.
I don't know.  Did we find a resolution to the list of problems we discussed
a few months ago like for example the testing issues and community drive?

Alex

Re: Felix is now a TLP

Posted by Ole Ersoy <ol...@gmail.com>.
It may be beneficial to
do new features and OSGi migration
in parallel, this way new features
are already OSGi compliant, which
means less work migrating them later.

This applies especially with respect
to the reworked RPM installer, which
I think would work like this (And I think
the approach is similar for other ADS
services and features, except for the commons-daemon part):

Bundles need to be created out of all dependencies that ADS
uses.

Then the "main" server class that starts ADS needs a Bundle
Activator class that is specified in its manifest.
This class has start and stop methods, so all of ADS's initialization
would take place in start, and cleanup in stop.

It also needs "Import-Package" properties for all its
direct dependencies, and if services have a corresponding
service interface the "Export-Package" needs to be added
to the manifest as well.  The same goes for all other
ADS direct and transitive dependencies.

So commons daemon would first start the OSGi container,
the container would load all the services, and the daemon
would then call methods on Felix that start and stop
ADS via ADS's activator class.

Cheers,
- Ole

Re: Felix is now a TLP

Posted by Alex Karasulu <ak...@apache.org>.
Chris,

I feel the same way.  However it will take some time for this list of
requirements that
Enrique posted a link to to be completed.  So while John and Enrique work on
that we can
continue to add as many features as possible.  Then when ready we can talk
about what
the effort will take and re-evaluate.  Does this sound reasonable?

Alex

On 5/7/07, Chris Custine <ch...@gmail.com> wro So I think we may
still be able
to merge efforts as things mature while continuing to add to the features of
Apache

Re: [OSGi migration] was: Felix is now a TLP

Posted by Alex Karasulu <ak...@apache.org>.
Yes agreed but I think if we handle some of the issues on that confluence
page
our vision will be clearer than it is now and we can properly evaluate this
technology.
At that point we'll see just how much overhead it will incur.

Alex

Posted by Ersin Er <er...@gmail.com>.
Hi all,

--
Ersin

[OSGi migration] was: Felix is now a TLP

Posted by Emmanuel Lecharny <el...@apache.org>.

Re: Felix is now a TLP

Posted by Chris Custine <ch...@gmail.com>.

Re: Felix is now a TLP

Posted by Enrique Rodriguez <en...@gmail.com>.
On 5/5/07, Emmanuel Lecharny <el...@apache.org> wrote:
> Now, we have discussed a lot about moving to OSGi, and it might be the
> perfect timing to think again about moving to it.
>
> wdyt ?

Graduation was one of many issues.  We have a list of items at:

http://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/DIRxSRVx11/OSGi+and+ApacheDS

I updated the table to note that Felix graduation occurred.

Enrique