Posted to users@cocoon.apache.org by Joseph Ferner <jo...@cox.net> on 2004/05/22 00:02:54 UTC

Is there a Servlet generator?

   I have a servlet which generates XML and I need to run it through a
pipeline for XSL transformation.  I have read that the "file" generator can
work as a servlet generator by passing "http://..." to it as the source.  I
have a few questions about doing this.  Will all the request parameters be
passed?  What if the servlet is under "https" using client side
authentication and role mapping using LDAP will the credentials be used when
executing the servlet?  What is the overhead for making a call like that?

   I have also looked at the JSP generator and have found a few places in
the code stating "JSP or servlet".  Would the JSP generator possibly be a
better solution to this problem?  I have also noticed that the JSP generator
calls "init" for each call to the generator which would be undesirable for
servlets.

Below is an example of what I'm optimally looking for.
<map:match pattern="...">
   <map:generate type="servlet" src="some.package.name.MyServlet"/>
   <map:transform type="xslt" src="my.xsl"/>
   <map:serialize type="xml"/>
</map:match>

I am will to write the code, but I'm just looking for the easy way out (if
there is one).