Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by Mandy Singh <ma...@gmail.com> on 2007/08/07 20:57:50 UTC

[users@httpd] htaccess and htpasswd

Hello Everyone,

On my website, I have content served off webroot.

site1.example.com
site2.example.com
site3.example.com

All point to the same doc root.

I want to passwd protect site1.example.com but not the others (but they are
served off the same directory)

How can I do that using apache?

The following .htaccess file will passwd protect all the 3 sites since they
are from the same doc root.

  AuthUserFile /usr/local/web/data/users/unh/zap/pro/.htpasswd
  AuthGroupFile /dev/null
  AuthName AllowLocalAccess
  AuthType Basic
  require valid-user

Thanks,
Mandy.

Re: [users@httpd] htaccess and htpasswd

Posted by Tony Stevenson <to...@pc-tony.com>.

Mandy Singh wrote:
> Thanks Tony.
>
> Doing the following inside the VirtualHost tag did it -
>
> <VirtualHost 127.0.0.1:80 <http://127.0.0.1:80>>
>     ServerAdmin admin@dev.com <ma...@dev.com>
>     DocumentRoot F:\xampp-lite\xampplite\htdocs\c\trunk\app\webroot
>     ServerName dev.c.com <http://dev.c.com>
>     ErrorLog F:\xampp-lite\xampplite\apache\logs\error_log
>     CustomLog F:\xampp-lite\xampplite\apache\logs\access_log common
>     <Directory />

Mandy, just so you know, using <Directory /> applies to the root of your
file system, i.e. /

You should consider using a <Location> stanza instead.

>       AuthType Basic
>       AuthName "Authentication Required"
>       AuthUserFile "/var/www/html/.htpasswd"
>       Require valid-user
>
>       Order allow,deny
>       Allow from all
>     </Directory>
> </VirtualHost>

--Tony

Re: [users@httpd] htaccess and htpasswd

Posted by Mandy Singh <ma...@gmail.com>.
Thanks Tony.

    ServerAdmin admin@dev.com

Posted by Tony Stevenson <to...@pc-tony.com>.

Posted by Mandy Singh <ma...@gmail.com>.
Hi Tony,

Yes I needed to move stuff to the httpd.conf file, but still how does one do
domain level password protection. Your example is directory level password
protection that would apply to all Virtual Hosts.

Any idea on domain level?

Thanks.

Posted by Tony Stevenson <to...@pc-tony.com>.