Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Randy Paries <ra...@unitnet.com> on 2005/02/09 01:38:48 UTC

Compression in the server.xml

Could some one explain the downsides of setting compression="on" in the
server.xml

I have a web app that averages 2 million hits aday.

The static and images are handled using apache.

I am trying to understand what the compression setting is used for in the
server.xml and what are the ramifications.

I found out about the setting reading "
http://brandlay.com/wojtek/publ/tomcat.jsp " that was on the list earlier
today.

any bandwidth I can save would be great

Thanks for the patience

Randy

Re: [OT] Re: Compression in the server.xml

Posted by Remy Maucherat <re...@gmail.com>.
On Wed, 09 Feb 2005 06:31:07 -0500, Tim Funk <fu...@joedog.org> wrote:
> No. They are written in 2 different languages and have 2 different purposes.

Indeed. Integration will improve, though (the Apache/Tomcat connector
will be bundled in Apache and will be compatible with all the other
module combination (such as cache + ssl + gzip).

--
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Rémy Maucherat

Posted by Tim Funk <fu...@joedog.org>.
No. They are written in 2 different languages and have 2 different purposes.

-Tim

Posted by Graham Reeds <gr...@ntlworld.com>.
Tim Funk wrote:
> Compression is useless if you use apache in front of tomcat.

Do you think that there will be a merging of Tomcat and Apache in the
future?

Random speculation appreciated.

G.

Re: Compression in the server.xml

Posted by Tim Funk <fu...@joedog.org>.
Compression is useless if you use apache in front of tomcat.

Look into mod_gzip and make sure the option for zipping chunked data in
mod_gzip is turned on.

-Tim