Posted to solr-user@lucene.apache.org by Steven White <sw...@gmail.com> on 2016/10/06 16:03:16 UTC

Upgrading to SolrCloud (take 2)

(sorry if this a second post, the first one 1 posted 1 hour ago has yet to
make it to the mailing list!!)

Hi everyone,

Currently, we are on Solr 5.2 and use 1 core and none of the cloud
features.  We are planning to upgrade to Solr 6.2 and utilize SolrCloud not
because our data need to scale (single core with no cloud is doing just
fine on our index of 2 million records and about 15 gb index size) but
because some of our customers want high availability.

We currently have a component that uses SolrJ and Solr REST API to admin
Solr (adding new fields, changing handlers, etc. to customize Solr's
schema) based on customer's DB schema before we start indexing.

If we switch over to SolrCloud:

1) Will our existing usage of SolrJ and REST API still work as-is?
2) Not all of our customers need that high availability of Solr.  For
those, single server and single index will do just fine.  In this case, can
I configure SolrCloud to single server with single core?  When I do so, am
I impacting performance of Solr?

I'm thinking performance will be impacted because there is now an extra
layer my requests will have to go through.

Thanks in advanced.

Steve