Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by Vijay Kumar <vr...@triniti.com> on 2003/07/19 17:35:17 UTC

[users@httpd] some httpd questions

Hi,

I have installed and configured httpd-2.0.4-21
Would like everyones feedback on the following :

a) If KeepAlive is set to OFF ( Defalut is off )
    The MaxKeepAliveRequest and KeepAlievTimeout has got importance as
KeepAlive is off.
     Am I getting it right ?

b) The documentation specifies that StartServer is eight.
    "  StartServers
    StartServers sets how many server processes are created upon startup.
Since the Web server dynamically kills and creates
        server processes based on traffic load, it is not necessary to
change this parameter. The Web server is set to start eight server
        processes at startup. "
       But in my default configuration file it is set to two. Why ? Where am
I going wrong ?
      Is it that RedHat modifies the default value before it includes httpd
in its distribution ?
      Thridly I just start the server - /etc/rc.d/init.d/httpd start.
     When I do a ps -aux | grep httpd| - I can see 9 processes, It should be
either eight or two right ?

c) What is the difference between /etc/rc.d/init.d/httpd reload and httpd
graceful and hhtpd restart.
     I have read the documentation , but still a bit confused.

d) How do we use UseCanonicalName ? If we set this to on, where is canonical
name specified ?
     Please can you state some example.

Thank you in advance for your replies.

Regards,
Vijay.

Re: [users@httpd] some httpd questions

Posted by Aaron Morris <aa...@mindspring.com>.

Vijay Kumar wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have installed and configured httpd-2.0.4-21
> Would like everyones feedback on the following :
>
> a) If KeepAlive is set to OFF ( Defalut is off )
>     The MaxKeepAliveRequest and KeepAlievTimeout has got importance as
> KeepAlive is off.
>      Am I getting it right ?

If KeepAlive is set to off, then "MaxKeepAliveRequest" and
"KeepAliveTimeout" have no relevance.  Setting "KeepAlive" to off is
generally a bad idea unless you have a specific reason to do so (I can
think of a couple of reasons).

> b) The documentation specifies that StartServer is eight.
>     "  StartServers
>     StartServers sets how many server processes are created upon startup.
> Since the Web server dynamically kills and creates
>         server processes based on traffic load, it is not necessary to
> change this parameter. The Web server is set to start eight server
>         processes at startup. "
>        But in my default configuration file it is set to two. Why ? Where am
> I going wrong ?
>       Is it that RedHat modifies the default value before it includes httpd
> in its distribution ?

"StartServers" is not as important as "MaxSpareServers" and
"MinSpareServers".  "StartServers" only affects how many child processes
are started when the server is started or restarted.  The "StartServers"
and "MinSpareServers" should at least be set at the same vaule,
otherwise, when you start apache, after it starts the initial processes,
it will then start even more processes until it reaches the
"MinSpareServers" value.  (This is probably debatable, but that is how I
understand it.)

>       Thridly I just start the server - /etc/rc.d/init.d/httpd start.
>      When I do a ps -aux | grep httpd| - I can see 9 processes, It should be
> either eight or two right ?

8 child processes + 1 parent process.

> c) What is the difference between /etc/rc.d/init.d/httpd reload and httpd
> graceful and hhtpd restart.
>      I have read the documentation , but still a bit confused.

/etc/rc.d/init.d/httpd reload is probably equivalent to a stop and a
start command.  A restart command will kill all the child processes and
re-read the httpd.conf and return apache to a fresh state, but the
parent process never dies.  A graceful command will re-read the
httpd.conf and apply [most] changes without interrupting current
connections or processes.

> d) How do we use UseCanonicalName ? If we set this to on, where is canonical
> name specified ?
>      Please can you state some example.

"UseCanonicalName" tells Apache to use the "ServerName" value + the
"Port" value to build self-referential URLs.  A good example of this
behavior is when you try to go to a sub-directory on a web site without
the trailing slash.  Say if you went to http://foo.com/bar with
UseCanonicalName=on, ServerName=www.foo.com, and Port=8888 then Apache
would issue a 301 redirect for http://www.foo.com:8888/bar/.

--
Aaron W Morris <aa...@mindspring.com> (decep)

Re: [users@httpd] Easy update apache 1.3.27 to 1.3.28

Posted by Eelco Alosery <in...@multi-graphics.nl>.
Yes, I forgot to sudo the comands.
Its working fine now, thanks

Joshua Slive heeft op zondag, 20 jul 2003 om 03:13 (Europe/Amsterdam)
het volgende geschreven:

Posted by Joshua Slive <jo...@slive.ca>.

Posted by Eelco Alosery <in...@multi-graphics.nl>.
I have reinstald the conf.status like you tolt me, but now i run intoe
some start errors.

[Computer-van-Eelco-Alosery:local/src/apache_1.3.28] eelcoalosery%
/usr/local/apache/bin/apachectl start
[Sun Jul 20 01:25:41 2003] [error] Must be uid 0 to raise maximum
RLimitMEM
[Sun Jul 20 01:25:41 2003] [error] Must be uid 0 to raise maximum
RLimitCPU
fopen: Permission denied
httpd: could not open error log file /THE_SITE/LOGS/error_log.
/usr/local/apache/bin/apachectl start: httpd could not be started
[Computer-van-Eelco-Alosery:local/src/apache_1.3.28] eelcoalosery%

Any ideas whts is going onn.

Joshua Slive heeft op zaterdag, 19 jul 2003 om 21:21 (Europe/Amsterdam)
het volgende geschreven:

Posted by Joshua Slive <jo...@slive.ca>.

RE: [users@httpd] some httpd questions

Posted by Joshua Slive <jo...@slive.ca>.
On Sat, 19 Jul 2003, Jeff Cohen wrote:
> >       Is it that RedHat modifies the default value before it includes
> httpd
> > in its distribution ?

StartServers is not very important in any case.  You can set StartServers
to 1 and it will take apache only a few seconds to ramp up to the correct
number.  So don't worry about it.

> > d) How do we use UseCanonicalName ? If we set this to on, where is
> canonical
> > name specified ?
> >      Please can you state some example.
> >

> UseCanonicalName is used in case you redirect, proxy or rewrite requests.
> If you have as an example:
> RedirectPermanent /abc http://www.otherdomain.com:8080/
> It will forward the request on to that domain in your client's browser and
> go to get the request straight from there.
> If you had UseCanonicalName off in this case, the request would have been
> sent to the redirected server but still show your servers address in the
> client's address bar.
>
> Apaches, please correct me if I'm wrong please.

That answer seems a little innacurate ;-)  UseCanonicalName does not
affect arbitrary redirects.  It only affects redirects that point back at
the same server.  (For example, trailing slash redirects required when
someone requests a directory without the trailing slash.)

The correct answer is here:
http://httpd.apache.org/docs-2.0/mod/core.html#usecanonicalname

and to answer the direct question, the canonical name is determined by the
ServerName directive:
http://httpd.apache.org/docs-2.0/mod/core.html#servername

Joshua.

RE: [users@httpd] some httpd questions

Posted by Jeff Cohen <su...@gej-it.com>.
I'll try answering what I can.

Obviously yes.

> b) The documentation specifies that StartServer is eight.
>     "  StartServers
>     StartServers sets how many server processes are created upon startup.
> Since the Web server dynamically kills and creates
>         server processes based on traffic load, it is not necessary to
> change this parameter. The Web server is set to start eight server
>         processes at startup. "
>        But in my default configuration file it is set to two. Why ? Where
am
> I going wrong ?
>       Is it that RedHat modifies the default value before it includes
httpd
> in its distribution ?
>       Thridly I just start the server - /etc/rc.d/init.d/httpd start.
>      When I do a ps -aux | grep httpd| - I can see 9 processes, It should
be
> either eight or two right ?
>
> c) What is the difference between /etc/rc.d/init.d/httpd reload and httpd
> graceful and hhtpd restart.
>      I have read the documentation , but still a bit confused.

Reload mean=drop all connections and restart the service.
Graceful means= re-read the config and apply now. - this does not drop any
connections being made unless they were declined by the new directives in
the httpd.conf file.

> d) How do we use UseCanonicalName ? If we set this to on, where is
canonical
> name specified ?
>      Please can you state some example.

UseCanonicalName is used in case you redirect, proxy or rewrite requests.
If you have as an example:
RedirectPermanent /abc http://www.otherdomain.com:8080/
It will forward the request on to that domain in your client's browser and
go to get the request straight from there.
If you had UseCanonicalName off in this case, the request would have been
sent to the redirected server but still show your servers address in the
client's address bar.

Apaches, please correct me if I'm wrong please.

> Thank you in advance for your replies.
>
> Regards,
> Vijay.

Jeff Cohen