Posted to community@apache.org by J Aaron Farr <fa...@apache.org> on 2008/03/03 10:27:33 UTC

Low hanging bugs for students

This next weekend I'm going to be at the Asia Open Source Symposium
Code Fest.  What was going to be a hackathon-like event is now a
student focused event with something like 50 university students
attending for two days to learn something about open source.  So now
I'm trying to come up with ideas on what to have these students do.

My preference is to have the students work on a bunch of patches over
two days rather than work on a single application to be released at
the end of the event.  To me, the patch process is a fairly unique
open source skill, so that's what I want to emphasize.

I already have some bugs, features and code in mind, most related to
the ApacheCon website.  But if anyone has some ideas of other low
hanging bugs or features that I could task a few students with, please
let me know.  Think of it as a two-day "summer of code".

If anyone has any other thoughts or suggestions, please pass them on.

Thanks!

--
  J Aaron Farr     jadetower.com        [US] +1 724-964-4515
    馮傑仁         cubiclemuses.com     [HK] +852 8123-7905

Re: Low hanging bugs for students

Posted by J Aaron Farr <fa...@apache.org>.
"Luciano Resende" <lu...@gmail.com> writes:

> Hi J Aaron Farr
>
>    The Tuscany project is interested in participating on the Asia Open
> Source Symposium
> Code Fest. We have discussed on the community areas that need help,
> and a wiki page with resources and suggestions was created. We might
> still be making some changes on the page to make it easier for
> consumption of a new user, but feel free to use the suggestions on the
> Code Fest. I'll also ask the community to be responsive to e-mails
> over the weekend.
>
> Thanks, and let me know if you have questions and/or comments.
>
> [1] http://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/TUSCANYWIKI/Asia+Open+Source+Symposium%0D%0AAsia+Open+Source+Symposium+Code+Fest

Thanks!  I'll look at this on the train to Guangzhou today.

Posted by Luciano Resende <lu...@gmail.com>.
Hi J Aaron Farr

On Mon, Mar 3, 2008 at 1:27 AM, J Aaron Farr <fa...@apache.org> wrote:

>  This next weekend I'm going to be at the Asia Open Source Symposium
>  Code Fest.  What was going to be a hackathon-like event is now a
>  student focused event with something like 50 university students
>  attending for two days to learn something about open source.  So now
>  I'm trying to come up with ideas on what to have these students do.
>
>  My preference is to have the students work on a bunch of patches over
>  two days rather than work on a single application to be released at
>  the end of the event.  To me, the patch process is a fairly unique
>  open source skill, so that's what I want to emphasize.
>
>  I already have some bugs, features and code in mind, most related to
>  the ApacheCon website.  But if anyone has some ideas of other low
>  hanging bugs or features that I could task a few students with, please
>  let me know.  Think of it as a two-day "summer of code".
>
>  If anyone has any other thoughts or suggestions, please pass them on.
>
>  Thanks!
>
>  --
>   J Aaron Farr     jadetower.com        [US] +1 724-964-4515
>     馮傑仁         cubiclemuses.com     [HK] +852 8123-7905

Luciano Resende
Apache Tuscany Committer
http://people.apache.org/~lresende
http://lresende.blogspot.com/