Posted to users@spamassassin.apache.org by Rainer Sokoll <R....@intershop.de> on 2005/01/21 09:16:54 UTC

urirbl and wildcard records

Hi,

in addition to SURBL, I have my own urirbl. Now I see advertized hosts
like Lcm.Vs.topguidance.com, Scoj.Cs.topguidance.com and so on.
Obviously, they use a wildcard record (for example,
spamassassin.vs.topguidance.com resolves).
OK, now I have a wildcard record for topguidance.com, and it works as
exüected.
Question: Do the "official" blacklists (spamhaus, surbl) take care of
this trick?

Rainer

Re: urirbl and wildcard records

Posted by Jeff Chan <je...@surbl.org>.
On Friday, January 21, 2005, 12:20:38 AM, Matt Kettler wrote:
> At 03:16 AM 1/21/2005, Rainer Sokoll wrote:
>>in addition to SURBL, I have my own urirbl. Now I see advertized hosts
>>like Lcm.Vs.topguidance.com, Scoj.Cs.topguidance.com and so on.
>>Obviously, they use a wildcard record (for example,
>>spamassassin.vs.topguidance.com resolves).
>>OK, now I have a wildcard record for topguidance.com, and it works as
>>exüected.
>>Question: Do the "official" blacklists (spamhaus, surbl) take care of
>>this trick?

>  From what I understand they only list the domain+tld and the client side
> only queries that.

> ie: for both xyz.example.com and abc.example.com, SA queries
> example.com.multi.surbl.org

Yes, for SURBLs on both the data and application sides we try to
reduce the host portion of the URI down to domain names that
would be registered.  There are several reasons for this but
the main is to ignore the extra subdomains/levels/hostnames
that spammers sometimes add.  This is described more on the
SURBL site, for example at:

  http://www.surbl.org/implementation.html

in the FAQ, etc.

  http://www.surbl.org/faq.html

Jeff C.
--
Jeff Chan
mailto:jeffc@surbl.org

Re: urirbl and wildcard records

Posted by Matt Kettler <mk...@comcast.net>.
At 03:16 AM 1/21/2005, Rainer Sokoll wrote:
>in addition to SURBL, I have my own urirbl. Now I see advertized hosts
>like Lcm.Vs.topguidance.com, Scoj.Cs.topguidance.com and so on.
>Obviously, they use a wildcard record (for example,
>spamassassin.vs.topguidance.com resolves).
>OK, now I have a wildcard record for topguidance.com, and it works as
>exüected.
>Question: Do the "official" blacklists (spamhaus, surbl) take care of
>this trick?

 From what I understand they only list the domain+tld and the client side