Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by Michael Richters <mi...@gmail.com> on 2007/03/09 19:53:16 UTC

mod_auth_kerb and usernames

When using apache with mod_auth_kerb, $REMOTE_USER contains the whole
kerberos principal name, including "@REALM".  This makes it difficult
to maintain a repository that uses both mod_auth_kerb and some other
method of access.  Is there any way to configure subversion so that
the realm is stripped from the username?

  --Michael Richters

Re: mod_auth_kerb and usernames

Posted by Michael Richters <mi...@gmail.com>.
On Sat, Mar 10, 2007 at 10:14:50AM +1100, Samay wrote:

> There is a logical reason to keep it that way. user@REALM1.FQDN !=
> user@REALM2.FQDN
>
> Its part of the bigger Kerberos picture.

I know that.  But my subversion repository only allows access from one
kerberos realm, so I don't care about that, and there are other ways
for users to access the repository (svn+ssh://).  This means that each
user shows up with two different "usernames", making logs very messy.

> >>I ran across this problem in one installation and ended up concluding
> >>that
> >>to get it to work I'd have to either hack the mod_auth_kerb source, which
> >>would be easy but a pain to track on upgrades, etc, or use
> >>principal@REALM
> >>for usernames in SVN, which would be unacceptable.
>
> we integrate SVN Auth with Active Directory using HTTP+Mod_auth_kerb. Map
> users via their User principle names in AD. We had to teach few people how
> to find UPN from AD using ADTools or LDAP Explorer. it was the only way as
> we have multiple AD domains/Realms. Now its part of the process. YMMV.

That's nice, but not relevant to my needs.

> >>So instead, I just used mod_auth_pam at let the Linux PAM system handle
> >>the
> >>kerberos authentication transparently instead.
> >
> >Does mod_auth_pam do SPNEGO authentication, allowing the users to use
> >their kerberos tickets to authenticate without the use of passwords?
>
> No. Mod_auth_pam allows for 'basic' authentication.

I didn't think so.  That was mostly a rhetorical question.

  --Mike

Re: mod_auth_kerb and usernames

Posted by Yves Martin <yv...@elca.ch>.
On Sat, 2007-03-10 at 10:14 +1100, Samay wrote:
> we integrate SVN Auth with Active Directory using HTTP+Mod_auth_kerb. Map
> users via their User principle names in AD. We had to teach few people how
> to find UPN from AD using ADTools or LDAP Explorer. it was the only way as
> we have multiple AD domains/Realms. Now its part of the process. YMMV.

 Hello,

I'm currently working on the same kind of deployment:
. Linux Apache2 server with mod_auth_kerb
. two ActiveDirectory (not trusted, different domains)
. use of Apache::AuthzNetLDAP to check permissions on AD groups

Which Subversion clients do you use ?

My Linux svn build with neon 0.25.5 works perfectly.
Recent win32 svn and TortoiseSVN binaries crash when doing SPNEGO - bug
from neon 0.26.x

Thank you in advance
Best regards,
--
Yves Martin

Re: mod_auth_kerb and usernames

Posted by Samay <ge...@hotmail.com>.

Posted by Michael Richters <mi...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Samay <ge...@hotmail.com>.
> On Fri, Mar 09, 2007 at 02:16:51PM -0700, Wesley J. Landaker wrote:
>> I ran across this problem in one installation and ended up concluding
>> that
>> to get it to work I'd have to either hack the mod_auth_kerb source, which
>> would be easy but a pain to track on upgrades, etc, or use
>> principal@REALM
>> for usernames in SVN, which would be unacceptable.
>
> It's not apparent to me how to modify mod_auth_kerb to remove the
> realm from "$REMOTE_USER", but if it were, I would be happy to do so.
> Can you give me any hints?

see if this thread helps u
http://sourceforge.net/tracker/index.php?func=detail&aid=1373783&group_id=51775&atid=464526

Re: mod_auth_kerb and usernames