Posted to dev@annotator.apache.org by "Zemtsov, Vladimir - Moscow" <vz...@wiley.com> on 2017/11/13 10:47:39 UTC

Selection in different context

Hi,

Im playing with the annotator, and found out that you can't select text in an arbitrary place. Selection should be strictly within specified DOM element (selectable)
Why this limitation exists and will it be removed in the future?
Our target now is to be able to select text in any place in the document body, as I understand this is impossible now?

Now I get this error in browser console when trying to do so:
index.js:69 Uncaught (in promise) Error: Context not equal to range's container; not implemented.

Thanks,
Vladimir

Re: Selection in different context

Posted by Randall Leeds <ra...@gmail.com>.
I would add that the code you're looking at is a demo. It serves as an
example only and a place to start testing out the libraries.

At this time there is no plan for Apache Annotator to be an application at
all. You can build your application and allow selection of whatever parts
of the document you like. Annotator only provides the tools for working
with those selections and re-selecting them later based on selector data.