Posted to users@openoffice.apache.org by Roberta Palmour <rm...@gmail.com> on 2013/06/26 15:43:42 UTC

OOD behavior

Dear Users:

Can someone please tell me why e-mail attachments downloaded from
gmail to the desktop are automatically opened by open office, even
when that is not the program in which they were constructed?  And what
does one do to remove this automatic default behavior?

Many thanks, Roberta Palmour

Re: OOD behavior

Posted by Rory O'Farrell <of...@iol.ie>.
On Wed, 26 Jun 2013 09:43:42 -0400
Roberta Palmour <rm...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Dear Users:
>
> Can someone please tell me why e-mail attachments downloaded from
> gmail to the desktop are automatically opened by open office, even
> when that is not the program in which they were constructed?  And what
> does one do to remove this automatic default behavior?
>
> Many thanks, Roberta Palmour

You need to reset the file associations for the documnt types you do not wish OpenOffice to open.  Normally ths is doe by right clicking on a typical document of a type and selecting Open With option from the pop-up menu.  There is usually a setting towards the bottom of the dialog wibdow that open to say "always use this application".  I have not access to a Mac, so the real wordings may be slightly different.

--
Rory O'Farrell <of...@iol.ie>

Re: OOD behavior

Posted by Roberta Palmour <rm...@gmail.com>.
On 26-Jun-13, at 9:43 AM, Roberta Palmour wrote:

> Dear Users:
>
> Can someone please tell me why e-mail attachments downloaded from
> gmail to the desktop are automatically opened by open office, even
> when that is not the program in which they were constructed?  And
> what does one do to remove this automatic default behavior?
>
> Many thanks, Roberta Palmour

Sorry should have specified that I am using Mac OS X 10.5.8, not Windows

Re: OOD behavior

Posted by Larry Gusaas <la...@gmail.com>.

On 2013-06-26 9:35 AM Rory O'Farrell wrote:
> On Wed, 26 Jun 2013 09:43:42 -0400
> Roberta Palmour <rm...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Dear Users:
>>
>> Can someone please tell me why e-mail attachments downloaded from
>> gmail to the desktop are automatically opened by open office, even
>> when that is not the program in which they were constructed?  And what
>> does one do to remove this automatic default behavior?
>>
>> Many thanks, Roberta Palmour
>>
> You need to reset the file associations for the documnt types you do not wish OpenOffice to open.  Normally ths is doe by right clicking on a typical document of a type and selecting Open With option from the pop-up menu.  There is usually a setting towards the bottom of the dialog wibdow that open to say "always use this application".  I have not access to a Mac, so the real wordings may be slightly different.

1. To reset file associations on a Mac:
2. Right click on a document
3. Click on "Get Info"
4. In window that opens, under "Open with:" choose the program you wish to open the document with.
5. Click "Change All" underneath "Use this application to open all documents like this one."

--

Larry I. Gusaas
Moose Jaw, Saskatchewan Canada
Website: http://larry-gusaas.com