Posted to ojb-dev@db.apache.org by Antonio Gallardo <ag...@agssa.net> on 2004/08/11 16:52:24 UTC

Moving to Subversion?

Hi:

Is OJB planning to move to subversion?

Best Regards,

Antonio Gallardo

Re: Moving to Subversion?

Posted by "Robert S. Sfeir" <ro...@codepuccino.com>.
Hey If I'm gonna start using it, I might as well try it somewhere... Here is
good :-)

+1

Re: Moving to Subversion?

Posted by Brian McCallister <mc...@forthillcompany.com>.

Re: Moving to Subversion?

Posted by Antonio Gallardo <ag...@agssa.net>.
Armin Waibel dijo:
> Antonio Gallardo wrote:
>> Hi:
>>
>> Is OJB planning to move to subversion?
>>

> Never used SVN. Why should we move to SVN? Is there a comparison CVS/SVN?
> Never had any problems with CVS, so I'm happy with it.

See "features" in: http://subversion.tigris.org/

Best Regards,

Antonio Gallardo

Re: Moving to Subversion?

Posted by Antonio Gallardo <ag...@agssa.net>.
Thomas Dudziak dijo:
> Tino Schöllhorn wrote:
>
>> well the thing is that I do not work with the cvs integration (except
>> for downloading the current head of ojb). But I think that the
>> subclipse  plugin is okay - except that some features (like the
>> synchronization-view) are still missing. But as it is constantly
>> developed I think it will be implemented in the next months.
>
> I'm also for the pragmatic approach. While I see the value of SVN over
> CVS (especially when refactoring), the IDE support does not seem on a
> par with the CVS support yet (at least in Eclipse, but probably in IDEA
> too). And as somebody who has learned of the benefits of the Team
> Synchronization View in Eclipse vs. plain CLI or with Tools like
> TortoiseCVS, I do not want to have to do CLI again.

Here is a GUI client: http://tortoisesvn.tigris.org/

Best Regards,

Antonio Gallardo

Re: Moving to Subversion?

Posted by Thomas Dudziak <to...@first.fhg.de>.
Tino Schöllhorn wrote:

> well the thing is that I do not work with the cvs integration (except
> for downloading the current head of ojb). But I think that the
> subclipse  plugin is okay - except that some features (like the
> synchronization-view) are still missing. But as it is constantly
> developed I think it will be implemented in the next months.

I'm also for the pragmatic approach. While I see the value of SVN over
CVS (especially when refactoring), the IDE support does not seem on a
par with the CVS support yet (at least in Eclipse, but probably in IDEA
too). And as somebody who has learned of the benefits of the Team
Synchronization View in Eclipse vs. plain CLI or with Tools like
TortoiseCVS, I do not want to have to do CLI again.

Tom

Re: Moving to Subversion?

Posted by Tino Schöllhorn <t....@tiscali.de>.
hi jakab,

well the thing is that I do not work with the cvs integration (except
for downloading the current head of ojb). But I think that the subclipse
  plugin is okay - except that some features (like the
synchronization-view) are still missing. But as it is constantly
developed I think it will be implemented in the next months.

tino

Re: Moving to Subversion?

Posted by Jakob Braeuchi <jb...@gmx.ch>.
hi tino,

Re: Moving to Subversion?

Posted by Tino Schöllhorn <t....@tiscali.de>.
Hi,

Re: Moving to Subversion?

Posted by Antonio Gallardo <ag...@agssa.net>.
Jakob Braeuchi dijo:
> hi antonio,
>
> i've done assembler on ibm /390 for about 8 years, so i know quite some
> cli ;)
> but i think these times are gone, and i always use my favorite ide
> (eclipse) or
> at least any other ide for java.
>
> at work i use eclipse and pvcs (which has no integration in eclipse) and
> it's no
> fun, that's why i want it integrated in my ide.

As you, I use eclipse too. If you checked the posted link, my post was a
copy&paste of a reply from Giaguno to me when I was against using
subversion  in Cocoon before Linux Fedora Core 2 (with subversion
built-in) was released. :-)

I know I am a 34 old "baby" compared with a lot of people on the ASF. But
I think the rant is valid, BTW we don't need to be afraid of SVN, I
already used it in a CLI mode and it is more friendly that I was able to
learn most of the commands I use. In the CVS case I never learned even the
most basic cvs update, because of the los of params in there.

BTW, about IBM /390 I only know thi machine from pictures and reference in
a computer history book. ;-)

Best Regards,

Antonio Gallardo

Re: Moving to Subversion?