Posted to server-dev@james.apache.org by Sascha Kulawik <sa...@kulawik.de> on 2003/03/29 14:55:48 UTC

Writing a new RFC (first Internet Draft) for a XIMAP protocoll

Hello at all,

I had not much time in the last half year to do something with the IMAP
implementation.
Today I've also discussed with a friend of mine problems encountered
with Outlook and Courier IMAP and why such errors occur.
I think one of the basic problems regarding to IMAP is, that there are
several ways to get the same informations.
Also IMAP is (normally) only indended for Mail retrieval - Calendar or
Contacts could be saved in a IMAP Server - but with a mail-header.

So I thought to wite a new IMAP Protocoll (XIMAP), based on XML messages
would be a good idea.
It should be no problem to implement this in existing Mailserver as well
as Clients for a "migration path".
Seperated in different Namespaces it is also possible to extend the
protocoll for Voice Notes or other message types.

Is anybody interested in writing such a Internet Draft with me?
Also somebody could implement this in James, f.e.

Regards,

Sascha