Posted to dev@maven.apache.org by Wendy Smoak <ws...@gmail.com> on 2007/06/06 00:15:45 UTC

Re: Where to report errors in Maven web site?

[moved to dev@]

On 6/5/07, Dennis Lundberg <de...@apache.org> wrote:

> That page should not exist. Someone seems to have published an old
> version of the site. I'll republish it.

Probably me... after some discussion, we decided that the
/plugins/maven-xzy-plugin docs should be for the latest release, *not*
what's in svn.

At the moment the snapshot docs are published here:
http://maven.apache.org/plugins/maven-site-plugin-2.0-SNAPSHOT/

That may change to maven-site-plugin/2.0-SNAPSHOT and /2.0-beta-5
instead, with maven-site-plugin/index.html containing links to the
released versions.

--
Wendy

Re: Where to report errors in Maven web site?

Posted by Wendy Smoak <ws...@gmail.com>.
On 6/5/07, Dennis Lundberg <de...@apache.org> wrote:

> So when I republished the latest docs from svn trunk for the site-plugin
> into /plugins/maven-site-plugin/ I did wrong?

I wouldn't go that far. :)  I didn't check the site closely, I just
remember that the site plugin was the one I was experimenting with.
Clearly the generated docs from 2.0-beta-5 are not acceptable, so the
"latest" is a better choice there.

> While I see the good points of this, I don't think that this is doable
> right now. The sites for many of the plugins have evolved so much more
> than the code has over the last year. The site that you published didn't
> have the stylus-skin and didn't follow the docck guidelines.
>
> I think that this should only be done when a plugin has had a new
> release. That way we'll know that the site-for-the-current-version will
> be up to date and "publishable".

Agreed.  We should leave what's currently published alone, but once
there is a new release, just publish that and not overwrite it with
docs for the next snapshot.

> But we need to get tools that support this or else our site will be
> inconsistent. We'd also need some sort of navigational integration with
> the site-plugin so that the user would get a nice menu where the user
> can select which version of the plugin they want to look at.

The first pass would probably just be editing index.apt when there is
a release.  I'm not sure where you'd get the release version info to
generate the links from.  Repository metadata?

Because of that I'm leaning towards the flat ${artifactId}-${version}
urls, and not having versions in subdirectories (even though that
doesn't match the rest of the site...)

Most of the time, the docs for the latest release are what you want.
The exceptions are when functionality changes drastically from 2.2 to
3.0-alpha-1, and you really want to keep using 2.2 until things settle
down.  I keep dragging the assembly plugin out as an example of this.

--
Wendy

Re: Where to report errors in Maven web site?

Posted by Dennis Lundberg <de...@apache.org>.