Posted to dev@avro.apache.org by Hitwise <re...@reply.github.com> on 2011/11/21 07:52:08 UTC

[avro] Codec deflate (#5)

Hi there,

We've added (deflate) codec support to avro-c!

Please let me know what should be changed/fixed/etc

- Lucas Martin-King (Experian Hitwise)

You can merge this Pull Request by running:

  git pull https://github.com/hitwise/avro codec-deflate

Or you can view, comment on it, or merge it online at:

  https://github.com/apache/avro/pull/5

-- Commit Summary --

* Added zlib as dependency in avro-c.pc.in
* Initial codec support
* Added codec.{c,h} to CMakeLists.txt
* Make sure codec is created before file writer is initialized fully
* Added libz to CMakeLists
* Added public method for creating a file writer with codec
* Use zlib directly so we have raw deflate blocks instead of zlib blocks
* Added codec support to file_read_header
* Make sure we free codec memory on file close
* Free up zlib private data; fix memory leak
* Refactor null codec implementation into functions
* Fixed invalid return value
* Initial inflate codec support
* Reading data files with codec support
* Changed examples/quickstop to use defate codec

-- File Changes --

M lang/c/examples/CMakeLists.txt (2)
M lang/c/examples/quickstop.c (2)
M lang/c/src/CMakeLists.txt (6)
M lang/c/src/avro-c.pc.in (1)
M lang/c/src/avro/io.h (3)
A lang/c/src/codec.c (258)
A lang/c/src/codec.h (41)
M lang/c/src/datafile.c (130)
M lang/c/tests/CMakeLists.txt (18)

-- Patch Links --

  https://github.com/apache/avro/pull/5.patch
  https://github.com/apache/avro/pull/5.diff

---
https://github.com/apache/avro/pull/5

Re: [avro] Codec deflate (#5)

Posted by Douglas Creager <dc...@dcreager.net>.
> We've added (deflate) codec support to avro-c!
>
> Please let me know what should be changed/fixed/etc
>
> - Lucas Martin-King (Experian Hitwise)
>
> You can merge this Pull Request by running:
>
>  git pull https://github.com/hitwise/avro codec-deflate
>
> Or you can view, comment on it, or merge it online at:
>
>  https://github.com/apache/avro/pull/5

Thanks very much for this!  I'll take a look at it over the Thanksgiving holiday.

cheers
–doug

Re: [avro] Codec deflate (#5)

Posted by Douglas Creager <dc...@dcreager.net>.
> I think Lucas had already created AVRO-957 for this.  But you're right that there was no patch file attached to that ticket.  Lucas, can you use git format-patch to create a series of patch files for your branch, and attach them to the JIRA ticket?

My apologies, git format-patch won't be needed — I just saw the patch file link you included in your original email.  But like Scott said, that patch file does need to be uploaded to the JIRA ticket for licensing purposes.  Thanks!

–doug

Re: [avro] Codec deflate (#5)

Posted by Scott Carey <sc...@apache.org>.
Oh, I'm completely blind!

Re: [avro] Codec deflate (#5)

Posted by Douglas Creager <dc...@dcreager.net>.

Re: [avro] Codec deflate (#5)

Posted by Scott Carey <sc...@richrelevance.com>.
Contributions need to be attached as a patch to a JIRA ticket, we cannot
pull them from github.   This is for legal reasons w.r.t. licensing.  You
must give the Apache Foundation permission to redistribute your work (you
own the copyright) under the Apache license.

I have created a JIRA ticket for this:

Thanks!

-Scott

On 11/20/11 10:52 PM, "Hitwise"